Sunday, March 19, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 11 OF 48 - PSALM 39:4

 

Cancer Survivors Park, Indianapolis, IN, 1995-2017


Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
            Psalm 39:4, New King James Version

Yes, we occasionally need a reminder of the fragility and fleetingness of our lives. As it says in James 4:14-15 we don't know what tomorrow brings, and our plans should begin, "If God wills, we will live and do this and that."

As the photo of Cancer Survivors Park above indicates, God can cure our diseases, and allow us to outlive expectations. On the other hand, though, Indianapolis' Cancer Survivors Park didn't survive. It was dismantled less than a quarter century due to disrepair and concluding it would be better to store the sculpture. 

I'll mention that I have memorized 39 complete Psalms, reviewing two a day each month (FYI Psalm 119 is one of the 39, but I review 8 verses a day for 22 days), and also 32 segments of Psalms, including today's Psalm. (BTW, all of the Psalms I'm sharing from this series are from the 39 complete Psalms and 32 segments.) I actually look forward to reminding myself of the fact that I won't be around forever (and other times when I review Psalm 90 and James 1:9-11 and 4:13-17).  

P.S. It just hit me as I'm finishing writing this blog: Today would have been my mother's 97th birthday. She passed away in 2002 due to cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment