Friday, March 3, 2023

PRE-OSCAR LOOK AT MOVIES THAT HAD AN IMPACT ON ME, PART 5 OF 12: WHAT'S UP, JOSH?


 If I made a list of favorite albums or songs, you'd find I tend to the obscure. I was in a group when a member asked us to submit our 100 favorite Christian items, and I believe it was around 40 of my top 100 were not on anybody else's list. So far, I've got a hunch my movie list hasn't been as obscure... until now.

"What's Up, Josh?" is a 1975 Christian movie. They may have been inspired for the title by Bugs Bunny's tagline, as well as a '72 WB comedy movie starring Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. Plot wise, it's what I considered a typical Christian movie, about a young adult overwhelmed with complications in life and learning the answer is in Jesus. 

You probably are guessing the main character is named Josh. That's a good, logical, natural, and wrong guess. Neither is it the protagonist's Christian roommate. No, this is referring to the speaker at on-campus meetings that the roommate invites the protagonist to, named Josh McDowell, who plays himself.

My hunch is most of my readers recognized Josh's name. In the movie, Josh deals with the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and deals with alternative views of what happened. This movie planted a seed on my interest in Christian apologetics. 

Most of the movies I've listed are available on Amazon. Sorry, not this one. However, it is up on YouTube if you want to take an hour and watch it. 

Allow me to add - "Thief In The Night" was a movie that almost made this list. That movie and others I've liked were produced by Mark IV (this one wasn't). One thing I like about Mark IV is that everybody doesn't come to Christ, just as in real life. In fact, sometimes the protagonist doesn't become a Christian.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment