Saturday, March 11, 2023

PRE-OSCAR LOOK AT MOVIES THAT HAD AN IMPACT ON ME, PART 12 OF 12: X-MEN THE LAST STAND


 

After watching "Batman Forever" on opening day in '95, I did not see a movie in a theater for a full five years. During that time, my taste in movies improved. So the first movie I saw after that Sabbatical was... "X-Men," of course!

I've read some opinion pieces which said that the end of this trilogy was on a weak point. I shook my head. I enjoyed all three movies, but this was my favorite. True, this is the only one to have my favorite X-Man (The Beast, played by Kelsey Grammer) and my favorite X-Man villain (The Juggernaut, played by Vinnie Jones).

To me, there is something deeper. Yes, it carries the same theme of two techniques to deal with opposition that's present in the whole trilogy, but this also deals with free will and determinism. One of the great lines was when Storm (Halle Berry) said she can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be a mutant, and the blue furred Beast replied, "Some mutants don't shed on the furniture."

Hope you found this series interesting, and I'd love to hear what my choice of movies says about me. For those who need a reminder, here's the list:

  1. Mary Poppins
  2. That Darn Cat
  3. Fantastic Voyage
  4. Murder On The Orient Express
  5. What's Up, Josh?
  6. Chariots Of Fire
  7. Ghandi
  8. Never Cry Wolf
  9. Dune
  10. JFK
  11. Jurassic Park
  12. X-Men: The Last Stand



No comments:

Post a Comment