Saturday, March 4, 2023

PRE-OSCAR LOOK AT MOVIES THAT HAD AN IMPACT ON ME, PART 6 OF 12: CHARIOTS OF FIRE


 We are at the half point of this series, and you may be wondering, "Will Jeff let us know what his favorite movie is?" I'll be glad to, but we need a rolling drum... or better, the pounding low D-flat on Vangelis' synthesizer. Oh, you've already guessed "Chariots of Fire,' because that's the name of the film and the picture. I suppose I'll need to make it more challenging next time.

This is the 1st Best Picture in my collection (my list contains one other best picture winner and two nominees - including "Mary Poppins", which did win best  actress). Unlike the other winner (which you'll see at some point in the second half), this was a surprise, winning over "Reds" and "On Golden Pond." It also won for best original screen play, costumes, and, unsurprisingly, Vangelis' score. (It also was nominated for director, editing, and supporting actor Ian Holm, who lost out to John Guilguld; Guilguld won for his role in "Arthur," but also was in "Chariots.")

I heard producer David Putnam interviewed. He commented some people said about "Chariots," "Great movie about Harold Abrahams, and the Eric Liddle character was interesting," and others commented, "I love that movie about Eric Liddle, and that Abrahams character was intriguing." 

I've watched it about 9-10 times. The last time was about two years ago, and I noticed something in it I didn't before: in one scene Vangelis played "Eric's Theme" in a minor key, and that definitely added to that scene.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment