Tuesday, July 12, 2022

YOUNG MARTIN LUTHER AND CAROLERS SING FOR MRS. COTTA IN EISENACH BY FERDINAND PAUWELS

 PART 12 OF A 17 PART SERIES ON FAVORITE ART AND ARTISTS

 

Young Martin Luther and Carolers Sing For Mrs. Cotta in Eisenach by Ferdinand Pauwels

Several years ago, I looked at the works of various artists, trying to discover new favorites (both artists as well as paintings). In doing so, I discovered this painting by Ferdinand Pauwels (Belgian, 1830-1904). 

When I first saw this picture, I was wondering which of the boys was Luther: the dark haired boy who was singing facing Mrs. Cotta or the one on the right who seemed a little more of a free spirit. So I looked up information and did not find a direct answer. 

I did learn that 14 year old Luther was sent to Eisenach by his parents to further his education. Since Luther and his friends didn't have Nintendo or a movie theater or even a baseball game to attend, they did caroling (I'm guessing not just at Christmas).

One of the homes Luther caroled at belonged to Frau Ursula Cotta and her family. She must have seen something in the singing teenager, and invited him to live with them, which he did for the following three years. She passed away in 1511. As a result, though, I think the one who was facing Mrs. Cotta is Luther.

The reformer was a frequent subject of Pauwels' art. There are also paintings of Luther entering the monastery, discovering the Bible, and, of course, nailing the 95 thesis on the Wittenberg door. His interest in the "founder" of Protestantism fascinates me, since Pauwels is the second Belgian I've become familiar with, and the first is the fictional, Catholic, detective Hercule Poirot. 

What do you think about this picture? Are there any people from history that you would paint portraits of if you have the ability?  

No comments:

Post a Comment