Friday, July 1, 2022

THE NIGHT WATCH, REMBRANDT HARMENSZOON VAN RIJN

 PART 1 OF A 17 PART SERIES ON FAVORITE ART AND ARTISTS

"The Night Watch" by Rembrandt
Is it any surprise that when they named a car after an artist, they called it a Rembrandt? Why not a Van Gogh or a Dali or a Picasso? 

I'm starting this series with probably the best known artist I'll be covering. Is Rembrandt (1606-1669) my favorite painter? Almost - he's my second favorite (I'll be dealing with my favorite later, of course). He did my favorite Resurrection painting, "The Risen Christ Appearing to Mary Magdalene"(see below).

My favorite Rembrandt is the one pictured above. I don't know why it's better known as "The Night Watch" rather than its proper title, "The Company of Captain Frans Banning Cocq and Lieutenant Willem van Ruytenburch Preparing to March Out." 

One reason I like it is the large scale of it. Several of the people stand out. In fact, though I've been lifelong non-military (like my Dad and Grandfather), I would like to hang around this group of people. Well, I'm not sure about the guy in the red with a sword - I'm not sure I'd like to get in an argument with him.

Why do I like this picture? After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that it's camaraderie. This group of people strike me as being a team. There is mutual loyalty between them.

Shouldn't the church be like that? We are facing spiritual warfare, but do we too often view ourselves as fighting our battle, rather that being united with our fellow believers with a common goal?  

Are you also a Rembrandt fan? If so, which paintings of his do you like? 


No comments:

Post a Comment