Thursday, July 7, 2022

SAVING CASTAWAYS, BY FRANCISZEK KSAWERY LAMPI

 PART 3 OF A 16 PART SERIES ON FAVORITE ART AND ARTISTS

Saving Castaways by Franciszek Ksawery Lampi

Yes, I'll admit I'm a Romantic. It shows up in my tastes in music: my favorite classical music includes Beethoven's 7th symphony, Wagner's Flying Dutchman Overture, Bruckner's 4th symphony (Romantic), Brahms' 1st symphony, and Tchaikowsky's Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture. Those who are familiar with these compositions will conclude I don't listen to much wimpy music. 

After doing a part in this series fitting for Independence Day, I have shared a couple posts dealing with perceptions of the direction this country is going. But I'm going a different direction, and I'm doing so with my all time favorite painting.

This is "Saving Castaways" by Polish painter Franciszek Ksawery Lampi (1782-1852), also known as Franz Xaver Lampi (don't ask me to pronounce either version). He is known for portraits of beautiful women and stirring landscapes such as the one above. His father and older brother also were painters, known respectively as Johanne Baptist von Lampi the Elder and the Younger. How cool is it to have "Baptist" as part of your name? Unfortunately, Franz was estranged and disinherited from his father, who stayed in Russia with the younger Baptist, while Franz settled in Warsaw.

Why is this painting my favorite? Simple. The title. For a person with a heart for refugees, it should be expected for me to adore a painting of such a rescue operation. Plus, having an evangelical background, it shouldn't surprise you for me to be moved by a painting that looks meant to be accompanied by the Fanny Crosby hymn "Rescue the Perishing." 

We may be concerned for this country, but the Church has a job, and it is to rescue the castaways. We are not here to be concerned about current trends - we're here to reach the lost.

What is your impression of this painting? Do you have a heart for rescuing those in need, physically or spiritually?


No comments:

Post a Comment