Saturday, July 2, 2022

THE EXALTATION OF THE CROSS BY ADAM ELSHEIMER

 PART 2 OF A 17 PART SERIES ON FAVORITE ART AND ARTISTS

 

The Exaltation of the Cross by Adam Elsheimer

 One of the foundations for this blog is to examine how arts are used to promote the Gospel/Christian faith. Obviously, "The Exaltation of the Cross" by Adam Elsheimer (1578-1610) is an example.

I would like to compare this with another photo with a similar motif: "The Adoration of the Lamb" (the Ghent Altarpiece by Jan van Eyck (1390-1441). I was introduced to this painting via Francis Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live?", with this painting on the cover of the book and shown at the beginning of each part of the 10 part film series.

The Adoration of the Lamb (the Ghent altarpiece) by Jan van Eyck

Both of these paintings are reverent and Christ centered, showing adoration to Christ. The differences are more the style of the artists.

I personally like Elsheimer's painting better, which is why I mentioned it in the title of this blog. But why? Maybe I like the light pictured in that one better, with it coming from the rear of the upper left corner, as opposed to the orb in van Eyck's. More likely, Elsheimer's seems to have more motion as opposed to the stillness in van Eyck.

Both have groups of people that I'm not sure who they represent. But they seem more individual in Elsheimer as opposed to the four set groups at each corner of van Eyck. Plus, Elsheimer seems to have fewer but larger people.

My hunch is that if I really analyzed my preference for Elsheimer, it's more personality than theology. The era might have something to do with it as well. Elsheimer, who's more recent by going on two centuries died shortly after Rembrandt was born. My favorite painter, who I'll deal with a while later, was born a little earlier than Rembrandt, but Elsheimer would be more of an influence/mentor than a peer.

What do you think of the two paintings? Do you like one better than the other? Any particular reason? (And it's fine if there isn't, since enjoying art is subjective.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment