Monday, July 11, 2022

THE CONCERT BY GERARD VAN HONTHORST

 PART 11 OF A 17 PART SERIES ON FAVORITE ART AND ARTISTS

 


So far in this series, I have shared my favorite painting of all time (see part 7), my second favorite painting of all time (see part 3), and my second favorite painter of all time (see part 1), but I have yet to mention who my favorite painter is. I'll be glad to answer that question: Gerard van Honthorst (1592-1656), also known as "Gerard of the Nights," due to his paintings of artificially lit scenes.

Van Honthorst was Dutch, like Rembrandt. What I found interesting is that van Honthorst was born about 14 years before Rembrandt and died about 14 years before Rembrandt. I'm curious if the artists knew each other.

I doubt most of you are familiar with van Honthorst, at least by name.  However, I'm guessing that you may have seen his "Adoration of the Shepherds" (left). 

One reason I enjoy van Honthorst is because I see a joy in a lot of his paintings. True, some were more serious in nature such as those dealing with the trial of Jesus (or the painting of the Angel rescuing Peter, to the right). But the Shepherds picture, as well as the Concert above show a cheerfulness. (I also see that cheerfulness in self-portraits of Von Honthorst.)

Did anybody know that I enjoy music? I'm guessing van Honthorst does as well. He has several paintings of musicians. Some are of individuals, some of group, and in one case (left) a Biblical example. 

Have you seen any of van Honthorst's art (besides the Christmas scene or any that I've used as a profile or cover photo on Facebook)? What is your impression of his art that I've shared, and particularly "The Concert" at the top? Is there a painter that does a good job giving you joy? 


No comments:

Post a Comment