Thursday, July 6, 2023

ALBUM REVIEW - "ON THE RIGHT ROAD" BY THE RIGHT ROAD QUARTET


 

 In the fall of 2021, I had the privilege of attending an Indiana Gospel Music Festival event at my home church, Northside Baptist Church. One of the three performers was then IGMF President, Devin Cunningham. (By the way, it was hosted by Indiana Gospel Music Association President and good friend Eric Shaw.) A large part included Cunningham leading in impromptu singings mixing him and Eric with the members of the other groups (the Victorious Trio and the Divinity Trio). Cunningham made an impression on me and I've added him to my regular prayer list and keep up with him on Facebook.(You can click on this link to see my interview with Devin from Nov. '21.)

Devin Cunningham is currently tenor for the Right Road Quartet, and I'm honored to review their project "On The Right Road." If you like good quartet singing, you'll enjoy this. It starts with the Michael Card song "I Have Decided" (maybe better known for Amy Grant covering it on "Age to Age"), and goes through with a few jazzy songs and some country sounding songs, closing with a delightful aca pella "Jesus Name Medley."

My favorite songs on the project are "Sing A Little Bit More," "Step Out Of The Boat" (both co-written by Cunningham) and the needs-to-be-listened-to "Pray For Revival."

I highly recommend this album.

By the way, I recently met Jerrod Cunningham of the Christian rock band I Am The Pendragon. Are Devin and Jerrod related? Maybe not, but I'd love to hear a collaboration of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment