Friday, November 19, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH GOSPEL SINGER AND PODCAST HOST DEVIN CUNNINGHAM


 

I faced a tough decision one Saturday, late September. Do I travel an hour and hear some good Christian rock 'n' roll, including Reclaim The Day (click here to see my interview with their lead vocalist Becca Sugg) or drive a few minutes to my home church and hear my friend Eric Shaw of His Voice Through Us, Victorious Trio, Divinity Trio, and Devin Cunningham? I don't believe there was a wrong choice, but I was blessed when I stayed close to home. I also was blessed to meet and interview Devin Cunningham.

JR: Let me start with the most important question. How did you come to faith in Jesus Christ? How is He at work in you? What has He been teaching you recently? And who has God been using to show what following Jesus looks like (e.g Preachers, authors, musicians, family/friends)?

DC: First off, thank for asking me to share a bit of my testimony.

I more or less have grown up in church my entire life. Even though I didn’t go routinely until I was 11 my grandparents made sure I always made it to the house of God every weekend I was with them, which was quite often. I would not be saved today it wasn’t for their witness in my life.

God is constantly working on me. LOL. Lately I have felt so burdened to encourage and remind The Body that God still knows exactly what is happening, He is still God and our faith in His love will see us through. My Pastor Rev. Josh Carson, recently preached and reminded me, “This world is dark, but we know the answer.” If we will remember who God is then we, through Jesus and overcome. If you have the knowledge of the power of the name of Jesus then you have all you need. “When we speak His name (Jesus) we invoke mercy.”- Rev. Josh Carson

JR: Your education journey took you from a private Christian School to a public High School to studying music performance at University of Indianapolis. How has the difference in the schools made an impact on your life, both in ways of challenges and blessings?

DC: Though I did end up graduating from a private institution I actually was in public school quite a bit growing up as well. Academically I have never been a great student, socially I had a well rounded education. LOL.

My time in a public high school changed the trajectory of my life. It was during that time I realized I love to sing and that it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It wasn’t until I returned to Calvary Christian School that I accepted my call to minister in song.

I taught myself how to sing up until I attended the University of Indianapolis. What I learned there has carried me to this day.

JR: I had the honor of hearing you do a solo set at an Indiana Music Festival event last September 25. Besides being a soloist and evangelist, you also are credited of singing with the AQUA (Apostolic Quartet United Association) Quartet and with the Master's Legacy Quartet. I could be a smart aleck and ask what you do in your free time, but instead I'll ask this: How do the two different quartets and your solo ministry compare with each other?

DC: Well AQUA doesn’t really travel anymore. Sadly we are just too spread apart.

The difference between my solo ministry and Master’s Legacy is style and presentation. The material during my solo presentation is more eclectic. It has a bit of everything. MLQ, although versatile, is still mainly southern gospel.

JR: Actually, I think I know what you do with at least some of your free time: Could you tell us about the To Be Determined podcast?

DC: Like most things in my life, TBD was birthed from a burden. I felt called to capture the incredible testimonies I have around me. the Bible says the we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. How will someone overcome by the blood until they hear about it. Everybody has a story and everyone needs to hear. So stayed tune because new episodes are coming out after the first of the year.

JR: We're living in interesting times, between COVID, the political division, the drastic changes in our culture. What concerns do you have, and what should the Church's response be?

DC: I know I’m repeating myself, but remember your resource. Don’t let the the failures of your past hold you back from today’s blessings. If you are reading this then you are alive and that means that God has given you another opportunity to to overcome through Him. Acts 2:38

JR: Thank you for your time. What is on the calendar for your solo ministry, your quartet, and for the Indiana Gospel Music Festival? Am I correct that you have a new solo music project out as well? How can we keep up to date with your activities?

DC: Thank you again for having me. You can follow me on Facebook and all other social media outlets to keep up with posts and upcoming dates.

Master’s Legacy is sadly disbanding but a new trio is forming out of it called Faithful First. It made up of myself on Tenor, Adam Faulkner on Lead, and Matt Denney on Baritone. We will have new music out next year so stay plugged in.

I did release a new project, "Light Up The World," which is available on Apple Music and Spotify. Hard copies available at every live concert event.

The Indiana Gospel Music Festival is scheduled to happen next summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment