Tuesday, July 11, 2023

2023 KINGDOM COME FESTIVAL - A VERY BLESSED DAY!!!

Welcome to Kingdom Come Festival.

 

Note: I will identify the below photos at the bottom of this blog, all of which were either taken by or include yours truly (I have yet to master the selfie yet). 

You may remember my interviews with Always One Ministries co-founder Angie Leyda in '21 and photographer Jeanette Yoder last year dealing with Kingdom Come Festival (and if you don't I'm sure you noticed their names in blue, indicating a link to said interviews). Those were among my favorite interviews, but still those two years had me desiring to attend but not making the trip.

Well, I finally made it!

For those unaware, the past couple of years the festival was at Howard County Vietnam Veteran's Healing Fields in Greentown, IN (a little east of Kokomo, an hour's drive from Indianapolis). It starts on one stage on Thursday night, and continues on two stages both Friday and Saturday. 

Maybe when I retire, I might buy or borrow a camper and spend the whole weekend there. But since I am not yet retired and not committed enough to take more than one two-hour round trips per festival, I only went on Saturday this year. Praise the Lord, I was interested in hearing 9 of 10 groups scheduled to perform at the Redemption Stage. (Before I attended, I didn't know what to expect, and wondered if I had a half mile walk between the two stages. I know better now.) 

Allow me to give some observations about the day (July 17th, 2023). 

  1. One thing I hoped for was to get to meet or get to re-meet several of my favorite musicians. Big check mark there. I had the honor of meeting Always One Ministries co-founders Chris Bousum and Angie Leyda (had a nice conversation with Chris), and photographer Jeanette Yoder (I spent the day in Redemption Stage with Concert Foto's Chad Fenner, and didn't have the manners to introduce myself! 😭)
    I wanted to meet Undefeated for over a year, and missed hearing them perform (they took the stage Friday while I worked), but got to meet them in the Merchandise. I had the honor of meeting Jerrod Cunningham (I Am The Pendragon), Nicolle Drennan (BRVVE), Sarah Shue (Eye's AFlame), Kamber Kigin (Raviner), Russ T. Shipp (Rusty Shipp), and an Upstanding Gent. I also got reacquainted with Scott Shireman (Hush Harbor), Miranda Brown, and 3/4 of Divine Martyr and 3/4 of Reclaim The Day (I don't believe I had the honor of meeting either DM vocalist Olivia Guetle or RTD bassist Logan Morehouse yet). 
  2. One singer I wanted to hear was Zahna. She had an acoustic set on Friday evening (I was working) and a midnight set Saturday night (past my bedtime), plus an appearance with Reclaim The Day on Friday (again, was working). But Saturday morning started with her singing the National Anthem. Still want to hear her live. By the way, I didn't stay to hear Samuel Day or TheoTerran, though I wanted to hear both -
    I happened to be both teaching Sunday School and working in the video booth the next morning). I did get to hear a couple of songs by Jesus Music legend Nancy Honeytree, which I didn't expect to, since she was scheduled the same time as Divine Martyr, but the singer before her didn't come, so she performed when I took a lunch break.

  3. I was thankful I still have my hearing. The Redemption Stage was a metal barn. The first act, BRVVE, wasn't a problem, but they consisted of two ladies taking turns playing an acoustic guitar and a conga player. The rest of the bands: I couldn't understand any female vocalists and struggled with the male singers.

  4. Did the above mean I didn't enjoy it? NO WAY! I got to hear many of the songs that have become recent favorites: "Truth" and "Fear" by Divine Martyr; "Heartbreak Embrace," "Fight," and "Not The End" by Eye's Aflame; "Your Love" by BRVVE; "Boots On The Ground," "Copper Miner's Son," and "World Gone Mad"
    by Upstanding Gents, "What's Kraken?" by Rusty Shipp, and "Drown" by Raviner.  I also got introduced to a song that will rapidly become a favorite: "Atonement" by I Am The Pendragon.

Of course, there are things I didn't get to hear. I missed hearing Hush Harbor, Undefeated, Zahna, and Reclaim The Day, because of my work schecule. Other favorite artists - Jodi Essex,

Worhol, and True Revival - weren't there (though, after Honeytree, I might get to hear older groups I haven't heard in concert after decades, such as Steve Camp, Malcolm Wild [with either Alwyn or the Mirrors], Daniel Band, Idle Cure, and Selah). But the day was a big blessing.

Photos (from top): 

  • Me and Jerrod Cunningham of I Am The Pendragon
  • Me and Always One Co-founder Chris Bousum
  • Me with Undefeated
  • Zahna singing national anthem
  • Concert Fotos' Chad Fenner photographing Jammin Shue of Eye's Aflame
  • Me with Samuel Day
  • BRVVE
  • I Am The Pendragon
  • Me with Rusty Shipp
  • Upstanding Gents
  • Divine Martyr
  • Me with Tristan Harris and Marcus Sugg of Reclaim The Day
  • Eye's Aflame
  • Raviner
  • Me with part of TheoTerran (don't know his name. 😢)



No comments:

Post a Comment