Friday, December 29, 2023

JEFF'S FAVORITE NON-FICTION LIST, 2023

School of Athens by Rafael

Maybe I'm wrong. Is my list that everybody's waiting for, and thus the one to save for last, my fiction list? Or is it my relatively recent added song list? For me, the capstone of the year is my non-fiction reading. 

I'm trying to remember if I ever put this list in order of my favorite to the least favorite. I avoid it on the other lists, but I can think of two reasons why this would differ:
  1. Because on the others, I interact with several of the authors and singers, and I don't want to make someone jealous or worse, for the authors at the bottom to feel discouraged because they're not higher on the list, and 
  2. More importantly, the message of the books are more the reason for higher numbers than artistic skill.
As I started, I was ready to put them in alphabetic order. I just changed my mind. I AM going to put them in order from the one that blessed me the most to the one that blessed me tenth. However, I'm not going to go into descriptions, though I will include a link to my book review to give more details.  The titles of the books may be enough to let you know what moved me, and maybe interest you as well.
Ready?
  1. Changed Into His Likeness: A Biblical Theology of Personal Transformation (New Studies in Biblical Theology) by J. Gary Millar. Book Review Link.
  2. Pray & Go: Your Invitation To Become A Great Commission Christian (Church Answers Resources) by Thom S. Rainer. Book review will be posted Jan. 9, 2024.
  3. Reflections On The Existence Of God: A Series of Essays by Richard E. Simmons III. Book Review Link.
  4. A Primer On Biblical Literacy by Cory M. Marsh. Book Review Link.
  5. I Would Die For Him: One Student's Story of Passion, Service, and Faith by Brent and Deanna Higgins (a biography of their son B.J. Higgins). Book Review Link.
  6. The Sermons To The Seven Churches of Revelation: A Commentary and Guide by Jeffrey A. D. Weima. Book Review Link.
  7. Dispensationalism: Essential Beliefs and Common Myths, second edition, by Michael J. Vlach. Book Review Link.
  8. Letters From Jesus: Studies from the Seven Churches of Revelation (Greek for the Week) by Chris Palmer. Book Review Link.
  9. Forged From The Reformation: How Dispensational Thought Advances The Reformed Legacy, edited by James I. Fazio and Christopher Cone. This compilation includes contributions from two authors mentioned above on this list: a pair of chapters by Cory M. Marsh (item 4) and a foreword by Michael J. Vlach (item 7). Book Review Link.
  10. Awaken Your Call: Daily Readings For Prophets And Intercessors by John Eckhardt. A collection of 30 readings. I don't agree with a lot of what this author says, but he definitely has a heart to encourage the church to be what it should be. Book Review will be posted January 25, 2024.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment