Tuesday, December 26, 2023

2023 YEAR IN REVIEW

Me with Doug and Jim of True Revival


 Well, we're at the end of 2023. As usual, I've done my list of favorite songs, fiction, and non-fiction books which will be shared the next three days, plus a look-ahead to on Saturday to next year. I just reviewed my look-ahead blog from last year, and smiled at how I've made several goals.

What were highlights of '23?

I planned a surprise birthday party for Becky, and managed to pull it off without her having any  suspicions! She hosts a monthly prayer time at our apartment for CEF, and I let the regular attendees in on the event, as well as inviting others who joined me in coming into the apartment after the prayer time ended. Becky told me she usually doesn't like surprises, but this one was a blessing to her.

In the "Looking Ahead" blog, I mentioned that this year was also Becky's and my 40th Anniversary, as well as that the NCFCA regional was in Indy which I got to judge in person (in addition to some on-line contests, including one that took place mid-December). Also, I got to go to both the Kingdom Come Festival (more below) and the Pitt Fest - not to mention seeing Fishers of Men, Anna Owens, and True Revival later on -  and I had the honor of meeting the Republicans running for Lawrence Township offices including Dave Hofmann, Bob Jones, and Brent Addington. 
We also got to go to three of our favorite zoos (Cincy, Fort Wayne, and Chattanooga).

I mentioned a dream festival line-up I'd like to see of seven artists. If "see" means getting to hear them perform, I only got to hear two - Divine Martyr and True Revival. But if I by see I mean "see with my eyes", then you can add Undefeated and Reclaim the Day to the list. Plus, I saw the video of most of a concert by another entry, my long-time favorite Daniel Band. I also had the honor of meeting several artists including Doug and Jim of True Revival and  Jerrod Cunningham (I Am The Pendragon/XIII Minutes), Always 1 Ministries leaders Chris Bousum and Angie Leyda, and photographer Jeanette Yoder. I did spend a day in a building with photographer Chad Fenner, and though I didn't officially introduce myself, I interact with him on Facebook. I also started following the Podcast Lithoscry, hosted by Glenn Remsen. 

How about books? Interesting year. I set my goal of both fiction and non-fiction at 12 each. I broke the goal for both - 16 non-fiction, 20 fiction. On the latter, it hasn't been typical. Sure, 20's a lot, but the past few years it has been over 24 (average of two a month). Plus, the number of different authors this year I've read is 19! That weird enough? I've read books by several of my favorite authors, but several of them failed to hit my top 10! Let me rephrase this - I've read the first novel for years from my 3rd favorite author, and that didn't make my top ten!  

I do not currently have a favorite movie list, and the list of movies to see is relatively short (and not the most modern). However, I saw five movies I've always wanted to see: "Avengers: Endgame;" "Avengers: Infinity War;" "Citizen Kane," "Dr. Strangelove;" and "Labarynth." I'm glad I saw four of those movies. (Any guesses which one I didn't enjoy at all?)

I did a blog asking if I should join Glenn Remsen in the Podcast world. As of now, the answer is negatory. However, I do have three Facebook groups and this blog. I've got my "Holding Up In Prayer The Arms of Christian Artists stronger. My other two groups are not doing any better, and I'm considering merging one with someone else's group. And this blog? Still going. One change is that I can count the interviews this year on one hand, though I've had more album reviews.

So now, I'll open the floor to questions. And should I get any, I'll try to answer them this Saturday as I talk about next year.

Photos on left margin - Becky's party, courtesy of Donna Leinbach;  Me with Mayor Candidate Dave Hofmann and Council Candidates Bob Jones and Brent Addington, and with Divine Martyr, Undefeated, Jerrod Cunningham, and Chris Bousum.



No comments:

Post a Comment