Saturday, December 30, 2023

2024 IN PREVIEW?

Turkey Run State Park, Marshall, IN



 You ready for 2024? 

No?

  1. I don't blame you, and 
  2. Tough. It will be here Monday.

Allow me to give several thoughts on this next year.

  • We're facing a Presidential election. Some are talking about a rematch. When was the last one? Not in my lifetime. I'm guessing the most recent was McKinley defeating William Jennings Bryan in both 1896 and 1900. (The time before that was when Cleveland ran against Benjamin Harrison in 1888 and 1892, with the incumbent being on the losing end both times.) Me? I'm not going to predict. I will say the candidate I'm rooting for on the GOP side is Haley. Should it be Biden vs. Trump? I'd prefer one to the other, but if that happens, we should pray the country prove the theory a third party (e.g. Libertarian Party) cannot win the electoral college wrong. But odds are that most 
  • Americans will be voting against one of the candidates, as we've had the past several years.
  • Any areas coming up in my life? Well, I'll be hitting 65, meaning I'll get all sorts of calls for Medicare plans. Retirement? Good question. Please pray.
  • Activities I plan on taking part of? Of course, NCFCA. The season has already started with a debate only on-line contest just over two weeks ago. I'm thinking of doing a pair more on-line contests and maybe the regional in early April in Louisville (not as close as last year's in Indy). I also will be wanting to do volunteer work at the Always 1 Ministries festivals (Kingdom Come and The Pit) and at the Southern Baptist Convention. By the way, this is the third national SBC even in Indy since I moved here: '04, '08, and '24. Yep, all Presidential election years!
  • Movies I want to see? Well, actually I do all my movie viewing on the small screen at home. Definitely on my list is "Singing In The Rain." There was a time I wanted to see every James Bond movie; I've slipped since then, with GoldenEye being the last one I saw. (Octopussy is the only one before that I haven't seen.) I'm debating on catching up as far as Brosnan's; I'm not interested in the Craig ones. I also debate if I want to catch up with the final two of the Jurassic World trilogy. Plus, there are some older Marvel movies I might want to see (Captain America 1 & 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, and maybe the Black Panther movies).
  • Reading? I'm going to do what I did last year and aim for 12 each of fiction and non-fiction. I might think about doubling the fiction should I re-enter my old habits.
  • Music? Yes, there are groups I want to hear that I haven't yet: TheoTerran, Theody, Samuel Day, and Undefeated being on the top of my list (unless Daniel Band or Idle Cure decides to make the rounds). 
  • Art? I would love to do more drawings. However, I'd love to get back on the keyboard and maybe guitar (I'll have to wait till I retire to learn the instruments that interest me: mandolin, oboe, French horn, and Timpani). I'm also feeling the novel writing bug coming back to life. Pray that I focus on what God wants me to do.
  • This blog? Last year, I hardly wrote any interviews. I want to change that, so if anybody wants to be an interviewee (or someone they want me to interview), let me know. I have a few series in mind, but I'm not sure if I'll have a long Sunday series as I did the last two years.

Any questions? Any comments? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment