Tuesday, September 12, 2023

BOOK REVIEW - THE SERMONS TO THE SEVEN CHURCHES OF REVELATION: A COMMENTARY AND GUIDE BY JEFFREY A. D. WEIMA

 


You may remember me mentioning I was leading a group on the seven churches in Revelation 1-3. One of the books I used as research was The Sermons to the Seven Churches by Jeffrey A. D. Weima. It didn't take me long to figure out this was probably my strongest source. 

Weima takes an interesting view that the messages to the churches are more sermons than letters. Each chapter starts off with a thorough and detailed commentary, followed by "The Contemporary Significance," which is essentially a sermon on this section. 

One thing I like is that when there is a difference of opinion, he states each major opinion with their strengths and weaknesses before dealing with what he considers the strongest option. One case is with the Nicolatians, where he points out that there is so little written about them (only mentions in Scripture are in Revelation 2; only mentions in church history goes back to Revelation as opposed to an active group) that we cannot make a dogmatic interpretation.

I highly recommend this book if you're studying chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment