Thursday, December 29, 2022

LOOKING BACK AT '22 - FAVORITE NON-FICTION BOOKS (PART 4 OF 6)

 


You ever notice how they save the biggest (or assumed biggest) for last? In tennis, the final match is the men's finals, in ice skating it's the women's. Well, as I mentioned yesterday, the question is which is the highlight of the year? My favorite fiction? Or my favorite non-fiction? If you asked me, it's the non-fiction books, especially Christian books.

This year, I will be giving my top dozen (for a change, the same number as my top fiction). I read 20 non-fiction books, which includes three I've previously read. As last year, I questioned whether I should count them in among the others I read for the first time, and as last year, I decided to mention them separately. These are:

  1. Isaac Watts: His Thought and Life by Graham Benyon. Are you aware that Watts, besides being a great hymn writer, was a pastor, an apologist, and author of a book on logic and of catechisms? If this isn't my all time favorite biography, it's in the top three.
  2. Superheroes Can't Save You: Epic Examples of Historic Heresies by Tod Miles. The most creative and entertaining apologetics book I've read. Miles looks at seven false teachings (Miles calls them bad ideas) about Jesus, and compares them with seven superheroes.  
  3. When Faith Is Forbidden: 40 Days on the Frontlines with Persecuted Christians by Todd Nettleton. I first read this 40 day devotional book last year, and did so again this year. Todd Nettleton had the privilege of interviewing persecuted Christains with Voice of the Martyrs, and shares some challenging stories.

Did you notice that I made the titles links? Well, since I had reviewed all the books I'm mentioning this year (except for one or two that I'll be sharing the reviews of the first week of 2003), I thought I'd give the link to those reviews if you want more info on any of those books.

Now to the list, which again is in alphabetic order.

  1. Caesar and the Church: A Biblical Study of Government and Church by Anthony Forsythe. Short and excellent book dealing with Church, State, and Delegated Authority.
  2. Christ's Call to Reform the Church: Timeless Demands From the Lord to His people by John MacArthur. We think that we Christians have God's blessing, but have we earned His rebuke? MacArthur deals with Jesus' messages to the 7 churches where the common theme is to "Repent", as well as reminding about the importance of the five Solas of the Reformation. (Title without link; look for the review on this very web-page on Tuesday, January 3, 2023).
  3. Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus (9 Marks: Building Healthy Churches) by Jonathan Leeman.  One common question is whether a Christian needs to regularly attend church. This book does a great job on the importance of not just attending church but committing to a local congregation for mutual ministry.
  4. Deacons: How They Serve and Strengthen the Church (9 Marks: Building Healthy Churches) by Matt Smethurst. I read this book to learn more about leadership. This definitely was an inspiration to me.
  5. Embracing the Race: 40 Devotionals for the Runner's Soul by Lisa Harris. This was a very encouraging devotional. Even though I'm not a runner, it was an inspiration. Don't be surprised if you see this book (and When Faith is Forbidden, mentioned above) included as a re-read next year.
  6. The Grand Canyon: A Different Perspective by Tom Vail. Great pictures in this book, and good arguments by the main author and other contributors on why the millions-of-years-of-erosion theory of the forming of this Arizona wonder is definitely not the only and maybe not even the best explanation. 
  7. Lennon, Dylan, Alice, & Jesus: The Spiritual Biography of Rock and Roll by Greg Laurie and Marshall Terrill. This is a very interesting book dealing with the Spiritual Development of people in rock and roll from the '50's to present. Some are short segments, some artists have a chapter devoted to them.
  8. Letter to the American Church by Eric Metaxas. The framework of this book is that the American Church is in the same place the German Church was in the early 1930's when Hitler rose to power. Metaxas encourages us to stand up against the evil we face as Dietrich Bonhoeffer did in Germany, like William Wilberforce did against international slavery, and like Reagan boldly saying, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" (Title without link: I would like to encourage you to read the view which will be posted Thursday, January 5, 2023. More often than not, the blog review is identical to the one on Amazon/Good Reads/Indianapolis Public Library, but sometimes I'll go more in detail on my blog, and that's my plan with this review.)
  9. Missions: How the Local Church Goes Global (9 Marks: Building Healthy Churches) by Andy Johnson. How do we get involved with the Great Commission? This book gives some excellent ideas on reaching the lost through the local church.
  10. Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (9 Marks: Building Healthy Churches) by John Onwuchekwa. There are a lot of good books on prayer, but this volume focuses on corporate prayer within the church, a much needed topic. By the way, this is the fourth of four 9 Marks books I read this year to make this list.
  11. Thanksgiving: An Investigation of a Pauline Theme (New Studies in Biblical Theology) by David W. Pao. This was one of four books of the series I read this year. Each of them were great in intellectual development, but this was the most uplifting. 
  12. When God Calls A Writer: Moving Past Insecurity to Write With Confidence by Deanne Welsh. Definitely an encouraging book for a writer who needs a push.

Have you read any of these books this year? Any catch your interest? 

Don't forget - next week I'll be giving the full reviews of the two books I don't have links for their review. I consider both books important, and they'll be posted Tuesday and Thursday.

  .   

No comments:

Post a Comment