Tuesday, September 6, 2022

BOOK REVIEW - LENNON, DYLAN, ALICE, & JESUS BY GREG LAURIE AND MARSHALL TERRILL


Isn't rock music the devil's domain? Aren't all rockers rebellious and ungodly? And what is a good minister of the Gospel like Greg Laurie doing on the back cover sitting with Alice Cooper?

Pastor Greg Laurie of Harvest Church Riverside (part of the Calvary Chapel movement) gives an excellent look at the spiritual lives of several musicians involved in rock music. He has one chapter focused on each of the three musicians mentioned in the title (Bob Dylan, John Lennon, and Alice Cooper). He has another on the Beatles and on the 27 club (artists who all died at age 27, like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison). Other chapters look at several artists of a particular decade.

Laurie starts with pointing out we'll have three surprises when we get to heaven:
1) We'll be surprised with people who we don't expect to be there who are.
2) We'll be surprised with people who we expect to be there who aren't.
3) We'll be surprised we're there.

In this book, he does mention several musicians who have turned to Christ. He deals with some who haven't, and calls others a work in progress.

I found this an interesting book, and I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to add - I looked at reviews including the 1 and 2 star reviews. Most of the 1 star reviews didn't like it because Laurie deals with the fact that some of the mainstream rock artists may actually be Christians instead of condemning rock. The 2 star review didn't like it because Laurie believed there is a hell and that people may end up there. I could say I gave the book a 5 star review because I agree with him on both points. No, I gave the book a 5 star review because it was well written, but I definitely agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I'll have to send this to John. I think he might be interested in reading this book.

    ReplyDelete