Monday, December 26, 2022

LOOKING BACK AT '22 (PART 1 OF 6)

Remember this photo? Remember who this band is? And can you guess who is not part of the band?

 

Another year over with! (Almost!) So let me end the year with 8 consecutive blogs, starting yesterday.

Today's blog will have three parts:

  1. I will look at my next to the last blog of last year and compare my goals with reality.
  2. I will give hopefully brief opinions (anybody really expect that?) on this past year.
  3. I'll give you an outline for the week of blogs.

A year ago, I told you my reading goals (a duplicate of my goal for '21): Reading one non-fiction and two fiction books a month (respectively 12 and 24) during the year. The goals were met and exceeded: 19 non-fiction and 27 fiction (not counting 3 graphic superhero novels).

On the non-fiction end, I planned on reading four more 9-Marks books: Done! I mentioned the New Studies In Biblical Theology series: I read four of those. I did reread three books: Graham Benyon's bio on Isaac Watts, Todd Nettleton's 40-day devotional When Faith is Forbidden and Todd Miles fun apologetics book Superheroes Can't Save You. 

As far as fiction, I mentioned reading more Love Inspired Supspense each year, reading 9, 11, and 18 the previous three years. Last year, I'm down for 17, one less than last year. As expected, I read books by Donna Fletcher Crow (3), Nancy Mehl (2), Kerry Nietz (2), and Janet Sketchley.

I had a goal to attend either the Kingdom Come Festival or the Pitt Fest this year, and get to hear Reclaim The Day. No, I didn't make it to either of those festivals, but I did get to Get To The Point Festival and got to hear Reclaim The Day there, as well as Inarticulate Bones which was also on my list. That concert also made me a confirmed Divine Martyr fan. I didn't make it to a NCFCA tourney last year, partly to signing up for a contest I thought was on-line and found out it was in person and had to cancel. 😭

How about the ministry opportunities Becky and I were talking about? Still talking about them. Any steps on publication? Only reading a book titled When God Calls A Writer. I also wrote the series I had planned to for the blog.

Speaking of this blog, I had great interviews again. I'm debating about mentioning any because they all were good. Four really stand out though: Libertarians Kerry Baldwin and Russell Brooksbank, author Carol Berubee, and singer/producer Jim Worthing (I really enjoy the interviews that get into theology). But I also invite you to look at the archives on the right to find any you've missed.

My thoughts of this year? It's been a sad year for several reasons. Several friends went home to be with the Lord. In a six week period, I was off work almost two weeks due to illness (one week with COVID, and most of another with flu/bronchitis). Missing some of my typical events like judging NCFCA contests or the live nativity scene at a nearby church. The political situation. But Becky and I are headed to our 40th Anniversary! I'm blessed at Northside Baptist, including a Bible study and a bi-monthly men's prayer breakfast.

How was that for brief?

What? This week's blogs? It started with part 25 of my hymn series yesterday, and will end Sunday (New Year's Day) with part 26. Today, I looked back at '22. Tuesday through Thursday will be respectively my favorite songs, fiction, and non-fiction books. Friday, I'll look ahead to '23, and I have a blog on my heart for New Year's Eve. 

P.S. In case you didn't remember, the band is Divine Martyr. Pictured right to left is drummer Mark McKowen, vocalist/celloist Olivia Guelle, guitarist Jason Hyde, bassist Woody Hughes, and non-band-member/DM fan/blog writer Jeff Reynolds.



No comments:

Post a Comment