Sunday, January 16, 2022

LET'S SEE - SHOULD I MENTION SANCTITY OF LIFE SUNDAY IN MY BLOG?

 I remember a few years back saying that we should make as big a thing about Sanctity of Life Sunday as we do about Earth Day.

But do I make as big a thing about Sanctity of Life Sunday as I do about Earth Day? Which, by the way, is absolutely nothing?

I noticed the lesson title for the January 16, 2021 in the Lifeway Sunday School quarterly "God values all human life." I also figured out that it fell on Sanctity of Life Sunday. And I decided I needed to write a blog for Sanctity of Life Sunday as I do for Reformation Day, All Saints Day, Pentecost, and other important days.

That decision was made January 15, 2021 (aka today).

I had just finished a series on Church Fathers and had a book review scheduled for today: Voice of a Prophet by A.W. Tozer. (It will be reviewed next week.) I had no thought about writing a blog  on Sanctity of Life Sunday prior to today.

No, this day was not really on my radar. But should it be? Rather, should I not realize every day is Sanctity of Life Day? Why focus more on it on one day than not give it equal attention every day?

Well, one reason is too often if we don't give something special attention on one particular day, we're tempted to give much focus on it the rest of the time.

There are some who say that the pro-life movement is too focused on the unborn and not the born. We want to outlaw abortion while we say nothing against racism or domestic violence or human trafficking, while we are silent about refugees. I agree completely with them. Of course, some of those critics are really saying we shouldn't be focused at all on the unborn, and of course they're wrong. 

As Christians, we need to realize that mankind is created in the image of God. Likewise, we need to not only see that of mankind as a whole but of each and every individual in that whole. 

How should we live in that light? Let me give some suggestions.

  • We can smile and greet others, and thank them when they do something.
  • We can be faithful to the Great Commission. 
  • We can stand up for others when we see them bullied, oppressed, insulted or otherwise mistreated.
  • We can listen to those we disagree with and treat them with respect as we want to be treated.
  • We can make it clear that every human life, including the unborn, is valuable and protect them.  
  • We can also speak out loud and strong against any sin that minimizes the life of others.
In closing: I usually am not one to protest. I oppose abortion, but I think more effort should be put in supporting abortion alternatives. In Eric Shansberg's excellent book Turn Neither To The Right Nor To The Left, he mentions that a lady who set up a table in front of an abortion clinic with balloons and a list of people who are looking to adopt. I loved that story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment