Thursday, January 20, 2022

GUEST BLOGGER BECKY REYNOLDS: PRAYER FOR CHURCH LEADERSHIP

 This is a first for the blog, and one that I hope comes more often: A Guest Blogger! And that first guest blogger is my wife, Becky! 

Technically, this was not written as a blog. The Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee is meeting in a solemn assembly this week, and Becky wrote this as a prayer to share with friends. I asked if it was okay to post it in my blog, and she agreed. So below is her introduction and prayer.

Friends, I am sending this to a diverse group in every sense, except for our common faith in Christ, "worked out in love."  (Galatians 5)  I am uncomfortable with saying "too much," but I want you to be able to pray with me and others. (smile)

The 26 members of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee is meeting this week in a "solemn assembly," with a couple of men known to seek God. Years ago, Dr. J. V. McGee said we need to put behind "sins, sorrows and blunders" Some of you already know of this very important week for the Executive Committee, but I mention it so that each of us can join in prayer (in the power of the Holy Spirit) and have our own faith, courage and joy increased. May we hear God's word, believe Him, obey Him, and bear the life of  the Spirit.Here is a start of prayer for us.
 
"Every day I thank You, Father, for Your grace that is real and personal!  God, may I believe You and believe fully Your sovereignty, goodness and grace. May I love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. May I allow You to be God alone, first in my thoughts/meditations, meaning/purpose, will/choices, relationships and affections. May I grow in gratitude/thankfulness, character/truthfulness,wisdom/understanding and forgiveness/mercy. May my disciplines and schedule be strengthened as I hear Your word and trust and obey You. 
 
"As Dr. Charles Stanley says, I know that obedience is doing what You say, when You say it, and the way You say to do it. Every bit of faith and knowledge I have is from small acts of obedience, and repentance when I disobey. Father God, only Your Spirit gives joy! And joy always, always follows obedience.
 
"Father, experienced people have said that revival must begin at the top for it to last. I am thrilled that these men and women have set aside time in order to put behind the past, to hear You, and to know where You are and what You are doing. That investment of their time will bear dividends in the leadership of Southern Baptist churches, but not only SBC churches, but the American church as a whole, and then beyond. I ask that You protect their investment from the enemy of the gospel, and establish this as a marker in the life of the church of Jesus Christ for generations to follow! 
 
"Please cause holiness and love to increase. Give power to the word of God, to church leadership, church planting, and relationships at churches across this nation and the world. Cause  holiness and power to increase and give power to my local church. The generations after us will become desperate to hear 'It is written.' Let us give young families, young adults and children what they need and deserve -  the word of God lived out in truthfulness and love. 
 
"Thank You Father for the Lord Jesus and for Your Holy Spirit!My hope is to give You joy, Lord. 
 
"In Christ, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment