Sunday, January 23, 2022

BOOK REVIEW - VOICE OF A PROPHET: WHO SPEAKS FOR GOD? BY A. W. TOZER

 

I found this book challenging in a good way. It does encourage one toward a closer walk with God. I placed it in my ten favorite non-fiction list I read in 2021. This is definitely going on my re-read list.

Prophecy (as in the existence of modern day prophets) is a debated issue. My upbringing is in groups that believe there are no prophets after the New Testament was completed, while others believe it is going on today. Tozer's focus doesn't quite fit either camp perfectly. The writing of this book seems to give the impression God still calls prophets, but it doesn't look like what I see in the modern movements that believe prophecy is still going on.

This book was published and edited post-humously by James L. Snyder from sermons and other writing of Tozer. This may not be as strong as Tozer's classics like The Pursuit of God and The Knowledge of the Holy, but I still recommend it. (I learned about it by seeing it listed in the bibliography of Another Gospel by Alisa Childers.)

Let me get back to the issue of prophecy. I am interested in studying the role of a prophet, and I would find myself somewhere between the cessationists who say the gift of prophecy vanished after the completion of the canon and those who are on the Charismatic side. I'll be dealing with that subject later in the year in my blog (I'll announce that later).

I will admit that I do find myself a little frustrated by the two post-humous Tozer books I've read. However, while I'm not sure I agree with everything in this book, I'm definitely planning on reading it again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment