Tuesday, August 24, 2021

RANDY SINGER BOOK REVIEW TRILOGY PART 2 OF 3 - THE CROSS EXAMINATION OF OLIVER FINNEY


 

In 2006, Randy Singer released two books in connection with each other: one fiction and one non-fiction. Yesterday, I reviewed the non-fiction book, The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ. Both dealt with the issue of apologetics, but in different way. In the Non-fiction book, Singer focused on who Jesus is. This one deals more with comparative religions.  

The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney was Singer's sixth, and the next to the last to be published by Waterbrook Press. When he switched to Tyndale, his first seven were re-released with the new publisher. While six of them retained their original titles, this one was renamed The Judge.

This book was published before I started writing my novel (which is now finished and in the process of finding a publisher), but I have just read it. I found it interesting because there are some similarities: both this book and my novel are mysteries and both deal with the field of apologetics. Both also have a lot of speaking by the characters in the process of the story, with most of the speaking in both cases "edited out" by the author. That is where the similarities end -- we took completely different tracks on how we dealt with apologetics.

How did this novel fare on both accounts? I might subjectively say that Singer could have been stronger on apologetics but I think he accomplished his point -- please read this to make up your own mind. As far as being a mystery, this is superb, a story that will keep you guessing. I thought I had figured part of it out, and was wrong -- and Singer gave enough hints for me to feel one could figure it out.

As usual, Singer has memorable characters. Singer has hints of being a fan of reality TV (which is also hinted at in his fourth novel, "Self-Incrimination) and of solving ciphers.

I highly recommend this book. Since it's my favorite book by my favorite author ... you bet I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment