Sunday, August 1, 2021

ALBUM REVIEW: FREE 'N' EASY, DAVE BRUBAKER (1978)


 

This morning, I was thinking about Jesus' parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. My mind then recalled a song called "Mr. Simon" which gave a modern interpretation of that parable. The singer's name is Dave Brubaker. 

I had the honor of hearing him perform four times; unfortunately, the most recent was early 1980. Twice, it was under the umbrella of my college (then Southwestern College, now Arizona Christian University) - the first time being a two song set in chapel, the second a full concert at the Spring banquet. The other two times were at Cactus Baptist Church, where I attended. 

By the way, my roommate had both this album and it's predecessor "Jesus I Will" (which included the above "Mr. Simon") and background tapes of the "Jesus I Will" tracks.

Let me focus now on "Free 'n' Easy". I believe this one was all original compositions (there were some covers on "Jesus I Will"). I would classify his music inspirational. The project starts with "House Of David" (one of the two songs he did in chapel), which focuses on giving his life over completely to Christ. The other chapel song, if I remember correctly, was "Remind Us To Remember."

One thing I've liked about David Brubaker is he wasn't afraid to confront complacency. This was clear in "Secret Service Christians" and the project's conclusion "Milk And Meat". 

I wish I had his albums, and I'd encourage anybody to try to get them. They are a blessing.

Has there been Christian music that impacted you for a long time, as this album has for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment