Wednesday, August 11, 2021

DUELING APOLOGETICS PART 1 OF 2: CONTEND EARNESTLY FOR THE FAITH BY PHIL FERNANDES


 

 If you would like to learn more about apologetics, I would highly recommend Dr. Fernandes' book a Survey of Christian Apologetics. This book is basically his doctoral dissertation.

After an introduction to the subject of apologetics, Fernandes looks at eight approaches to apologetics: 

  1. Testimonial
  2. Presuppositional
  3. Philosophical
  4. Psychological
  5. Scientific
  6. Historical
  7. Comparative Religions
  8. Cultural

Most of these have two or more chapters dealing with certain arguments that fit into that category. The exception is Presuppositional, where he looks at two Presuppositional apologists (Gordon Clark and Cornelius Van Til) and follows their arguments, their strengths, and a comparison of the two men.

I hope I didn't lose you when I mentioned this was his doctoral dissertation. It doesn't read like one. Fernandes' points are easy to understand and follow.

I highly recommend this book, especially for those who are learning about apologetics. Some people may disagree on which the best approach to take is. That's not the point of this book. 

This is not the first apologetics book I've read. Tomorrow, I'll share another book, but if you want to read both, I'd recommend this one first.

No comments:

Post a Comment