Sunday, May 14, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 19 OF 48 - PSALM 86:11

Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossville, TN

 

Teach me Your way, O LORD;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear Your name.
            Psalm 86:11, New King James Version

 

This is a wonderful prayer. I love the thought "Unite my heart to fear Your name." 

What does it mean? Scripture warns us against being double minded. Psalm 119:113 says, "I hate the double-minded, but I love Your Law." James 1:8 says of one who doubts when asking God for wisdom that he's "a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." Later, James exhorts "Purify your hearts, you double-minded." (James 4:8)

Could another way to put a "united heart" or an "undivided heart" "whole hearted?" It means we're not divided by trying to fit in with the world and be in fellowship with God, because since the world's not in fellowship with God, we can't be whole heartedly following our Lord if we're spending a lot of time in the goat pen.

May we be taught God's way. May we walk in His truth. And may our heart be united to fear His name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment