Sunday, January 15, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 2 OF 48 - PSALM 4

 

Dogwood Park, Cookeville, TN

1   Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have relieved me in my distress;
    Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
2  How long, O you sons of men, Will you turn my glory to shame?
    How long will you love worthlessness And seek falsehood?

Selah

3  But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly;
    The Lord will hear when I call to Him.
4  Be angry, and do not sin.
    Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still.

Selah

5  Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
    And put your trust in the Lord.
6  There are many who say, "Who will show us any good?"
    Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.
7  You have put gladness in my heart,
    More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
8  I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
    For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 4:1-8, NKJV



Allow me to start with verse 2. Doesn't that sound like today? Don't people today love worthlessness and seek falsehood? I'll be honest - I'd rather listen to the news that's biased for my point of view than the news that's biased against it, admitting I may not always like hearing the truth. 

Verse 3 is an encouragement... that is, if I'm endeavoring to live a godly life. It brings joy to me to know that God has a purpose for me. It humbles me that God would choose me. (Especially for a person who, when they're choosing players for their sports team, can figure out which team I'm going to be on by figuring who gets the last pick. And the reality, God has no reason to be more impressed with me than my peers were with my athletic abilities (or lack thereof).

You're probably familiar with verse 4, "Be angry and do not sin," which is quoted by Paul in Ephesians 4:26. You note it doesn't say anger is a sin? There are times we will be angry - we're wired that way. But what do we do about that anger? We do need to remember James 1:20 - that the wrath of man will not accomplish the purposes of God.  

There are times I relate to verse 6: "There are many who say, 'Who will show us any good?'" There are times I get discouraged, and at points it's where I am not sure things will ever get better. But I need to realize that God is in control of all things.


No comments:

Post a Comment