Tuesday, January 31, 2023

LET'S SEE - IF I SPONSERED AN AWARD PROGRAM, WHAT SHOULD I CALL IT? OF COURSE, IT MIGHT HELP IF YOU READ THIS FIRST...

 

Let's see; instead of Oscar, should the trophies of my Awards show resemble Gian Lorenzo Bernini's statue of David? Okay, maybe, maybe not. I'm open to suggestions.

Of course, you may know that they just released the nominees for two of the most important rewards show this week: The Oscars and the Razzies. 

And then, also on Tuesday, I saw a memory on my Facebook Wall about the INSPYS for fiction. I was about to get excited to find about the nomination process for this year's, but then realized it went on hiatus with the rest of the world in 2021 due to COVID, and unlike much of the world, they have yet to return.

At that point, a light bulb turned on. Why don't I start my own awards program? 

Now, some practical minded people might be picking up your darts. Please, put them down. I can pop that balloon easily enough on my own. Allow me a little space to enjoy this dream before returning to reality.

This blog's title mentions coming up with a name for it, and I've got a picture of an idea for the trophy. But first, what would I like my awards show to feature and honor?

That answer is simple. I want to focus on Christian artists. It will include music, the traditional arts of painting and sculpture, and both fiction and non-fiction writing.

Naturally, the next question would be how to select the nominees. After all, I don't have time to be able to choose a sampling in any one of the above-mentioned fields, let alone all of them. And once the nominees are selected, I could single handedly choose the winner from the nominees, but what would that mean? What makes me the authority? Though, since it's my awards, I can do that if I want! Is that okay with you?

There are three options for getting the nominees. They are:

  1. Have the artists submit items to consider. Of course, I'd limit it to one per category. 
  2. Have my internet followers recommend nominees.
  3. Have an appointed committee of people to provide the nominees That would include artists, and my dream would be to have pastors be a large part of that board.

After getting the nominees, the same would be true for choosing the winners. It could be done by popular vote, or it can be done by a committee.

Bubble bursting time. Let me give two things that bother me about awards shows.

First, let me share why I shake my head at a lot of vote-in awards. The primary reason is it becomes a popularity contest, based on who can get their fans mobilized to vote them the award.  Also, I once saw a vote-in awards show on-line where the organizer of the awards also was a competitor for a couple of categories; guess who won those categories?

The second is more philosophical. At the heart, I want to encourage artists. But I also realize that while some people would be thankful for being nominated, others would be discouraged in not winning the award.

This is one reason that when I list my favorite books (and now music) of the past year, I list them in alphabetic order instead of enumerating who is at the top of my list and who's at the bottom. Plus, I list all that I think deserve mentioning, so I don't stick with a set number like the top ten.

So what do you think? Should I realize I just need to get some extra sleep? Do you want to have fun with a little fantasy? Any other thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment