Sunday, January 1, 2023

SUNDAY HYMNS, PART 22 OF 22 - I AM RESOLVED


Cattle Call, a mix between a bison and a Scottish Highland Cattle, Chattanooga Zoo.

 

I am resolved no longer to linger, 

Charmed by the world's delights;

Things that are higher, things that are nobler,

These have allured my sight.


I am resolved to go to the Savior, 

Leaving my sin and strife;

He is the True One, He is the Just One, 

He hath the words of life.


I am resolved to follow the Savior, 

Faithful and true each day;

Heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth, 

He is the living way.


I am resolved to enter the Kingdom,   

Leaving the paths of sin;

Friends may oppose me, foes may beset me, 

Still will I enter in.


I am resolved and who will go with me? 

Come, friend, without delay:

Taught by the Bible, led by the Spirit, 

We'll walk the heavenly way.


I will hasten to Him, Hasten so glad and free;

Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.

 

NOTES ON HYMN:

  • As usual with hymns with a chorus, the last paragraph is the chorus.
  • I thought this would be an excellent hymn for New Year's Day, and this song probably gives better ideas for New Year's resolutions that we would on our own.
  • This is my favorite hymn. No, I didn't save it for last for this reason - it's that, as I said above, this is the most fitting for New Year's Day.
  • I know I won't have a voice about it, but if anyone asked me, I'd like this song sung at my funeral.
  • The meter of this song is 10, 6, 10, 6. Yes, the chorus doesn't keep the meter.
  • In the hymnal I'm used to, it only included the first four verses. I later saw one with the fifth. A lot of times, the missing verse is the weakest verse, but to me, this completes the thought. I love the move of emphasis from personal to corporate walk.
  • Hope this series has been a blessing for you. Starting next week, I'll be doing a new series.



No comments:

Post a Comment