Sunday, October 23, 2022

SUNDAY HYMNS, PART 12 OF 22: ONLY TRUST HIM

 

Crossroads Baptist Church, Indianapolis, IN

Come every soul by sin oppressed, 

There's mercy with the the Lord,

And He will surely give you rest 

By trusting in His word.


For Jesus shed His precious blood, 

Rich blessings to bestow;

Plunge now into the crimson flood 

That washes white as snow.


Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way, 

That leads you into rest:

Believe in Him without delay, 

And you are fully blest.


Come, then, and join this holy band, 

And onto glory go,

To dwell in that celestial land, 

Where joys immortal flow.


Only trust Him, only trust Him, 

Only trust Him now.

He will save you, He will save you, 

He will save you now.


NOTES ON HYMN     

  • This is my favorite invitational hymn, though when I was a teen-ager, I considered it to be just as much as trusting Jesus in day-to-day life as opposed to the decision leading to salvation, and thus connecting it to "Trust and Obey."
  • The verses to the song are written Common Meter (8,6,8,6) and can be interchanged with several other songs. The chorus has an 8,5,8,5 meter.
  • As a music lover, I enjoyed the line, "join this holy band." It also makes me think of the line from "Onward Christian Soldiers," "Onward, then, ye people, Join our happy throng," as well as from "I Am Resolved", "I am resolved and who will go with me? Come, friend without delay."

No comments:

Post a Comment