Friday, October 21, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH CHRISTIAN RAPPER YUNG PRIEST DA PREACHER (WVIU 2022 BEST NEW ARTIST NOMINEE)

Yung Priest Da Preacher (Chris Matthews), Video Shoot.

I can say I've now made it big time: I'm getting to interview Chris Matthews! No, not the host of hardball. I'm speaking of the artist known as Yung Priest Da Preacher, a Christian rapper, one of the four nominees for Best New Artist in the WVIU Music Awards. (And I'd rather interview him than the journalist anyways!)


JR: Welcome to my blog. How did you come to Christ and what inspired you to get into music? Likewise,
what inspired the handle you go by?

CM: Growing up as a kid my family would invite me to church. Even though at that age I disliked going
because I didn’t have a interest in God yet. Not until I had some friends invite me to their church and I
was introduced to the gospel. My life changed and I decided to believe in Jesus. Having faith in him gave
me the inspiration to make music centered around him and my perspective of the world. 

I was already doing music before coming to Christ. It always gave me a safe space to express myself and with it I pray to give the listener the same experience. Christian rap has definitely been a blessing to me. 

Lastly for my name Yung Priest Da Preacher, I prayed and got the idea to name myself Yung Priest. Preacher came from people calling me preacher around the church and I got Da from my bro Jopo Da Son.

JR: I'm writing these questions the day your latest EP, "S A F E S P A C E," is released. Would you like to tell us about that project? What inspired the title?

CM: "S A F E S P A C E" is a small collection of songs that means a lot to me. From the name to the songs and everyone who was apart of the creative process. It brought healing to me and I hope it brings healing to the listeners. The name
"S A F E S P A C E" came from my wife. She gave me the idea one day saying my music brought her “comfort”. After hearing that I had to name this project "S A F E S P A C E."

JR: One question I like asking is about influences. Who are your influences and mentors, both musically and as a Christian?

CM: I have a lot of influences and people I look up to I could name but I’ll mention a few. Musically Lil
Wayne, Drake, Linkin Park, J Cole, Bizzle, Lecrae, Kendrick, Marvin Sapp and Kirk Franklin. Christian TD
Jakes, Francis Chan, Pastor Allen Parr, and some local Pastor’s in the Austin Round Rock area.
 

JR: Congratulations on being a finalist for the WVIU awards both for Best New Artist and Best Male
Rap/Hip Hop Artist. Anything you'd like to say about WVIU? When are the awards given out?

CM: I’m grateful to WVIU for the opportunity to be nominated in their award show and I believe the
awards will be held on November 18th.

JR: Back to "S A F E S P A C E": There doesn't seem to be many safe spaces in this world. How would you help create safe places in our divisive culture? How has God encouraged you, and how has He used you to encourage others?

CM: Love covers a multitude of sins. All I can do is do my best to be the man that God called me to be.
Letting my light shine whenever I get the chance. Being available to those in need and sharing my faith through the music. God has encouraged me in many ways as the old folks say “he made a way out of no way”. I hope to encourage others the same way. No matter what you’re going through you can make it out in Jesus name.
 

JR: Thank you for your time. How can we keep up with what's new with your ministry and music?

CM: Thank you for taking the time to interview me. The best way for people to be updated on what
I’m doing next is to follow me on social media @_yungpriest on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment