Friday, October 28, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH SINGER/SONGWRITER CRYSTORIA



JR:
Welcome to my blog. I'd like to start with how you came to Christ, and how you became interested in music. Also, is Crystoria your given name, or is there a story behind it?

CH: Thank you for having me. Music has always been a big part of my life. My dad was an independent Country artist throughout my early childhood. I remember experiencing recording studios and touring festivals and family nights that consisted of singing karaoke for fun and watching my family write songs for certain projects my dad was working on. It was a part of our normal life, and I loved it. When I was eleven I would get my first guitar and begin my journey in writing and singing for the years to come. 

My grandmother was a huge influence with my walk in Christ. I remember her talking about God during the summer days when she would come over to watch me. I remember her buying my first bible when I was 12 at a yard sale. I had always found myself in awe with creation. From the stars in the night sky, to the leaves blowing in the wind, I just was in amazement. I found myself often talking to the sky about life without really understanding who God was. As I got older I found myself attending a local church and found myself listening to the sermon and feeling like God was speaking directly to me through the sermon. I knew I needed to turn my life to God and so I did. That year I would cry out to God for His salvation, and get baptized. 

As for my artist name Crystoria it actually comes from a blend of my first and middle name. Crystal meaning pure, and Victoria meaning victory: together they make pure victor,  which is what we have in Jesus! 

JR: Would you like to tell us about your most recent project? Also, congratulations on winning last year's WVIU Music Awards New Female Vocalist 2021. How has that encouraged, influenced, and maybe even stretched your ministry this past year?

CH: Thank you. It was such a humbling experience to be awarded last year at WVIU Music Awards. Moments like such has brought confirmation in where I am at and encourages me to keep pressing forward as I know people are being blessed by the music, the lyrics, and most importantly the message. Even when life may feel stagnant or a bit rough at times the testimonies I receive from people being blessed keeps me going. I've always said if one person can blessed I am thankful and I am blessed; when multiple people are touched by a song it really is something special and truly a blessing from God that leaves me in awe.  

My most recent project released was my single ”Story in the Making”. I knew immediately when Troy Stravos and I wrote the song during a co-write in February of 2022 it was going to be going to production however I didn’t know when that would be. I personally like to let God lead me to what song I will release next. My life was going in a new direction this past summer in many ways I was not expecting; I found myself feeling pulled away from the contemporary christian genre and considering christian alternative and christian rock. With that said I have been in the process of working on entirely different style projects than what I have done in the past and I am currently in the process of rebranding. I found myself closing a chapter of what had been and opening the next. The song ”Story in the Making” made perfect sense to release for this moment of closure and new beginnings as the lyrics sing ”close one chapter open another”.  It really was a release that I will never forget and was truly bittersweet.

JR: Your webpage mentions a group of ladies called "Brave Worship." How did they influence your ministry?

CH: Brave Worship is where so much of my music journey truly began. I have ”written” songs since I was about 12 years old, however I never really considered myself a true ”songwriter” till the last few years. I always imagined songwriters being people who were hired out of college and worked for big record labels. Though there are people like that, there are so many people like you and me just going after their gifts in their everyday life and succeeding. 

Then I connected through a worship leaders group on Facebook with Amanda Blankenship. She was wanting to help more Women in Ohio become aware of Brave Worship (a women’s ministry for songwriters and worship leaders). Next thing I knew I was invited to a Private Facebook group filled with other women just like me with a passion of music, writing, and singing. 

To be real, though, the group quickly became intimidating as I saw ladies releasing music and running active ministries, and I felt unqualified as I simply was a mom of 4 running a small makeup business from my home and writing songs occasionally on a tiny notepad in my living room. I would end up sitting back and just watch the posts come through for the next couple years. The intimidation eventually turned into encouragement as I realized these ladies were so much like me. Moms, house keepers, entrepreneurs, and so forth… we all had something in common: the love for writing music for the Lord. After watching these ladies post for several years I started to slowly share songs I had written and eventually would be lead to a broader division of the ministry Writing Worship.

JR: As a frustrated artist (ceramist, songwriter, drawer, novelist, out of practice with some of those for decades), Krissy Nordhoff's Writing Worship Mentorship sounds like heaven. What was that program like? 

CH: Amazing! Truly Amazing. Writing Worship and Brave Worship are ran by Krissy Nordhoff and her husband Eric. Krissy is an amazing songwriter who has helped write for many artists including Natalie Grant and Tauren Wells. Had you told me ten years ago I would have the blessing of an opportunity to be able to take a mentorship by such amazing and Godly people I would of thought you were talking nonsense, I realized really quickly though Krissy was just like anyone else whose life had been taken down some amazing paths and humbly wants to share what she has learned to help others grow. Her mentorship helped me see the beauty in co-writing and finding confidence in how to do so. It helped me understand the importance of seeking God when it comes to writing for Him. It even brought me closer to God as she encouraged us to two way journal through out prayer times each week. I had barely co-wrote with any one prior to the mentorship. I now have several co-writes a month on a normal basis.

JR: As I'm typing this, you are in the middle of an on-line course you started called Songwriter Social. What motivated you to start it, and what skills that you had developed in your life prepared you for this? How does Songwriter Social resemble and differ from the above mentioned Mentorship? 

 

CH: Yes,  Songwriter Social is an 8 week course I developed to help writers and artists learn how to present themselves effectively and authentically on social media.  In 2015 I sensed God directing me to entrepreneurship around the same time He was encouraging me to write again. I thought it seemed like an odd combo of things to be working on at the time but eventually it really did come together. As I was placing myself in a season of preparation for my songwriting, I was learning how  to brand and market myself on social media for my businesses. I saw the potential for a kingdom mindset working on social media and saw beautiful things take place during my time as an entrepreneur. 

Eventually I would feel God’s tug to let all that go. I remember feeling frustrated with God wondering why He would have me work so hard over the years to just let it all go, BUT GOD, He has His ways, and after I let it all go I would be invited to take part in a private book study for Krissy’s book “Writing Worship“ and I just sensed God saying it was time to focus on music. As months went by I saw artists and songwriters in these groups on Facebook asking for help and advice when it came to their social media. One week in particular I found myself running across two posts from two different songwriters asking if they could still present themselves, or market themselves, on social media if they are not the artist. I immediately  knew the answer and realized there was a need for helping the songwriting community. 

Like Writing Worship, Songwriter Social is taken part in a small group setting virtually. You have a video to watch each week with challenges. However instead of learning about song personalities, worship, writing, and co-writing, Songwriter Social helps an inspired songwriter learn how to brand, network, create content, and time manage on social media all the while staying ”kingdom minded”. 

JR: Thank you very much for your time. What is coming up on the horizon? How can we keep up with your various ministries? 

CH: Thank you so much for having me! As I shared I am in the works of some new music, for those wanting to keep an eye out on the new style I have goals to release the beginning of 2023. You can keep up with my ministries at crystoriamusic.com or through my socials (Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok) @crystoriamusic. May God bless your ministry. Blessings.



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment