Sunday, May 19, 2024

"PENTECOST AND OTHER FORGOTTEN HOLIDAYS," OR "ANOTHER BLOG ON THE FESTIVAL OBSERVING DEBATE"

"Pentecost" by Emil Nolde

 

My goal is to have blogs prepared in advance so they can be automatically be posted at 6am ET  on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. For about a month, any blog was few and far between. The last week, including today, I am writing the blog on the scheduled days and immediately posting it. (Tuesday, I'll have a blog prepared to post; let's see how long I can keep that going!)

Actually, I did plan on writing it yesterday, but I couldn't think what I wanted to write about! After all, I set aside Sundays usually for something more theological, and my mind went blank. But then I woke up this morning, and realized: IT'S PENTECOST SUNDAY! And I forgot all about it! 😭

Not making excuses, but I have a lot of help in not remembering. It's not on calendars. There's no Pentecost sales. Nobody mentioned it at church. Once, I commented that the church I attended never celebrates Pentecost, and I was answered, "We celebrate Pentecost every Sunday. Uh, sorry, but if you celebrate somehing every week, you're not really celebrating it any week. I can also make the same case for Reformation Day or All Saints Day. 

There is debate on whether Christians should celebrate any days, quoting Galatians 4:10-11 in light of turning back to the bondage of the law: "You observe days and months and seasons and years. I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain." (All Scriptures are NKJV) One big difference: Paul is warning against Gentiles feeling obligated to celebrate Jewish holidays. Is there anything condemning Christians choosing to celebrate a holiday to remember something like Pentecost or Reformation Day, or Easter or Lent or Advent or Christmas for that matter? Allow me to give you a pair of Scripture passages, and decide if us having freedom in that area is consistent with the teachings of the New Testament: 

  1. "To the pure all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure, but even their mind and conscience are defiled." Titus 1:15
  2. "Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lorde he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks." Romans 14:4-6

In case you haven't figured it out, the best way to remember something is to do it. In his book "24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life," he mentions that the fourth commandment starts with the word "Remember." We're commanded to observe a weekly Sabbath, and Sleeth points out that we forgot. Now, he's not focused on whether we observe it on the first or seventh day, but rather that we set apart (i.e. sanctify) one day to rest. 

So if somebody wants to help me remember Pentecost or Reformation Day or All Saints Day (and for me, I'd interpret All Saints to include all Christians, not just the ones canonized by the Catholic Church), please do! I'd like company.

And happy Pentecost!

No comments:

Post a Comment