Sunday, May 12, 2024

HOW DOES PSALM 149 RELATE TO CHRISTIAN LIFE? OR DOES IT?

"The Company of captain Frans Banning Cocq and lieutenant Willem van Ruytenburch preparing to march out", better known as "The Night Watch," by Rembrandt.

For years... make that for decades, I've wondered about how to apply Psalm 149 to my life. 

The first half is pretty straight forward: it talks about singing to the Lord a new song, rejoicing in our Maker and King, praising Him with dance and harp, and that He takes pleasure in His people and will beautify the humble with salvation. But buckle up your seat belts: The latter part takes a surprising twist. Starting with verse 5 and continuing to the end of the Psalm:

"Let the saints be joyful in glory; Let them sing aloud on their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, And a two-edged sword in their hand, To execute vengeance on the nations, And punishments on the peoples; To bind their kings with chains, And their nobles with fetters of iron; To execute on them the written judgment-- This honor have all His saints.  Praise the Lord!"

                Psalm 149:5-9, NKJV

Are you stumped as well? Then I'm not alone. How does this apply to your lives?

Often when I have a question, I try to get feedback, so I asked the question in a Facebook group I trust - Calvinst Dispensationalists Unite. I did get two primary themes in the responses:

"No, we're not supposed to get swords out and start chaining people up." Really? Shucks! I had my fetters all ready to go! Yes, I realized that we Christians aren't to literally apply it. But if not, then how? After all, isn't all Scripture inspired by God and profitable for teaching, rebuke, correction, and instruction in righteousness? 

"We need to look at the original audience and the message to them. And in this case, it looks to the Millennial Kingdom." This response is right on the money, and is a key part in interpreting Scripture. However, it is silent on the part I was seeking help on: Application. After all, the passage says this honor have all the saints - aren't Christians part of "all the saints?"

So, unfortunately, I resigned to still having that question unanswered. But that was not permanent.

A few weeks later, I was sitting in a D-Group meeting in class. No, we weren't looking at Psalm 149. But all of a sudden, a thought went through my head... or was it leading of the Holy Spirit?...

"Your answer is in 2 Corinthians 10:3-6."

As I was saying, the discussion at the moment was unrelated. No, nobody mentioned 2 Corinthians. I had memorized that passage in the past year, but I hadn't reviewed it for a week or two. 

Unfamiliar with that passage? Here it is:

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled." 

                            2 Corinthians 10:3-6, NKJV

Am I the only one noticing similarities? Both deal with weapons. Both mention taking captives and punishing disobedience.

Now, how do we apply Corinthians? That's another blog.

By the way, next time I have a question? I'll go back to Calvinist Dispensationalists Unite. They have proven to be a great source for sound Biblical teaching and discussion.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment