Thursday, March 21, 2024

INTERVIEW WITH BRYAN BROWN AND KENNY POOVEY OF DEADSIN

 

DeadSin, left to right: Cameron Murrell (Guitar and vocals), Bryan Brown (Bass and Lead Vocals), and Kenny Poovey (Guitar and vocals). Photo by my friend Chad Fenner of Concert Fotos.


JR: Welcome to the blog. How did the band get started? Who all are the members, and how did you choose your name?

BB: We got started around May/June of 2020. It was myself (bass, Lead Vocals) Keagan (drums) and Cameron (guitars). We wanted our name to mean something or be a conversation starter. We took a couple verses that talk about being dead in sins and dead to sin and just really liked DeadSin as a whole. 

Since we began we’ve gone through a couple line up changes. Keagan has left the band, he was a founding member. We currently have Bryan (me) and Cameron and Kenny Poovey (guitar, vocals)

JR: Would you like to tell us about your latest project(s)? Especially about "Sovereign."

BB: Our latest release was a song called “Don’t You Know” which is pretty much a pop song which talks about how much we care about our loved ones and friends. I had been wanting to write a song about my sons for years and this was it. 

Our song “Sovereign” is a banger. Keagan wrote most of it and I wrote the lyrics. We made a music video for it producing it ourselves with some help. We are big believers in the sovereignty of God and that all things happen for a reason and that He is control of every single thing. The chorus is based off or Romans 8 and 9. God saves us. He is the author and finisher of our faith. 

JR: I would like to know the story of your 3 song EP "The Protest," including the awesome artwork.

BB: Our EP “The Protest” was our first release. We had a handful of songs but picked these 3 cause they had some variousness in styles. We tracked the music ourselves but then flew to Nashville and had Josiah Prince of Disciple track all the vocals and later mix it. Was a great experience and he was awesome to work with. We may go back there in the future. Each song was picked for a specific reason. “Wrath” was a groover and we wanted to talk about an attribute of God most do not, His justice and wrath against the wicked. Next was “Recreate” a personal song of my walk and fall and return to Jesus. Last was “Elevate” a very pop passive aggressive song about false teachers. The video actually got us kicked off a show once. The artwork was Keagan’s idea and we for the boys in The Protest who also do graphic work as Quiet strength design to make it. They’ve done "Vapor" as well, my favorite. 

JR: I love that each of the members mention their favorite Bible passage on the website. What is the church background of the band? What are your sources (in person, favorite musicians, mentoring preachers via books, radio, etc.)?

BB: I grew up in an Assemblies of God church. Around my late 20’s I discovered RC Sproul and it led me down the path to where I am today in Reformed theology. I attend a Presbyterian church, in the CREC. I’m a fan of pastors and apologists like Jeff Durbin, James White, Voddie Baucham, Doug Wilson. As an older man, I’ve got so many favorite bands and artists to name. I think we do a good job of mixing in old and new styles in our music. 

Kenny Poovey was raised Catholic as a child and chose in adult hood to follow the non-denominational Christian faith.  Still growing every day in faith and his walk with Jesus.  DeadSin is actually a big influence on his journey. 

KP: I enjoy listening to scripture via the audio book and YouVersion app and get a lot of his lessons and teachings of scripture from my church, The Quest, located in Royse City, TX as well as from the amazing R.C. Sproul along with fellowship with my friends such as Chad Fenner who is a prolific professional photographer but also a major influence on myself along with  Bryan Brown from DeadSin and Shelby Steineger from my church. 

My favorite Bible verse, which is not easy to choose as there are many that resonate is "Romans 8:38-39: Nothing can separate you from the unconditional love of God!"   This verse is special to me because I can seek comfort in the thought of unconditional Agape Love.  I love "love" and I feel it is important to not only Christian faith as God has shown the proof that unconditional love exists but also for me, it is an important concept for my marriage.  I feel God should be at the center of my marriage and that we are to love each other unconditionally.  It is also something that the world truly needs, which is the unconditional love we receive from God but also that as humans, we should be leading by example each and every day to love one another.

JR: What do you think is the greatest danger facing the church, and what is DeadSin's role in dealing with that danger?

KP: I think the greatest fear or danger for the church is when folks twist the narrative or meaning of the Bible at its teaching for their own personal gain or personal agenda.  I think DeadSin does a good job by facing this head on in our song, "Elevate".  DeadSin is committed to speaking the truth and shining the light on this sickening trend taking place in our churches. 

BB: Greatest danger is the lack of discernment and not knowing who God really is. We’ve made a God that conforms to who we want him to be more than reading and understanding what scripture has said. God is holy, holy, holy. We can’t comprehend that in our human minds. The theology in main stream American churches is very watered down and frankly weak. I also fear the church’s are full of false converts too. 

JR: Thank you for your time. What projects are you working on? How can we keep in contact with y'all (how's that for a little Texan?)?

Photo courtesy of Chad Fenner of Concert Fotos

BB: Thank you so much for doing this with us. We’ve had a brief lull in the band for a few really good reasons but we are still writing. Got a couple songs in the works and hope to drop something by summer. We are looking at this as DeadSin 2.0 with Kenny joining us. You can keep up with us on our webpage and on Facebook.  We are excited about the future and pray God uses us for His glory. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment