Thursday, March 14, 2024

BOOK REVIEW - EXPLOSIVE TRAIL (PACIFIC NORTHWEST K-9 UNIT, BOOK 3) BY TERRI REED

 


Who is exploding trail markers at the National Park and why? And who is more dangerous to K-9 Officer Willow Bates: the unpredictable, vengeful bomber, or her soon-to-be-ex-husband, FBI Officer Theo Bates?

"Explosive Trail" by Terri Reed is the third book of the Pacific Northwest K-9 Unit series from Harlequin's Love Inspired Suspense series. As usual with the multi-author K-9 series, each book has threads that extend the whole series, but also has its own story. Thus, it is written where if you miss a story or start with a book other than the first one, you'll neither feel lost with references to earlier stories nor spoil the previous installments if you want to catch up. (In this case, I have read the opening book "Shielding the Baby" by Laura Scott, but I've yet to read book 2, "Scent of Truth" by Valerie Hansen.)

I've read Love Inspired Suspense stories where the lead characters were formerly married and fall in love again (am I spoiling a Harlequin to say there's a happily ever after ending?), but this is the first I've read where the characters are on the verge of divorce. Reed tells a compelling story about the ups and downs of the relationship. Personally, I found that aside from the first scene, more focus is on the romance side than the suspense angle, but it felt natural to the story.

I highly recommend this book and the series (at least, as far as I've read so far).


No comments:

Post a Comment