Sunday, September 10, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 36 OF 48: PSALM 119:153-160

Child Evangelism Fellowship Headquarters, Warrenton, MO

153   Consider my affliction and deliver me,
        For I do not forget Your law.
154   Plead my cause and redeem me;
        Revive me according to Your word.
155   Salvation is far from the wicked,
        For they do not seek Your statutes.
156   Great are Your tender mercies, O LORD;
        Revive me according to Your judgments.
157   Many are my persecutors and my enemies,
        Yet I do not turn from Your testimonies.
158   I see the treacherous, and am disgusted,
        Because they do not keep Your word.
159   Consider how I love Your precepts;
        Revive me, O LORD, according to Your lovingkindness.
160   The entirety of Your word is truth,
        And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.
                Psalm 119:153-160, New King James Version

As you'd expect me to say, I absolutely love this section. Allow me to give two reasons.

  1. The emphasis on revival. Yes, you probably noticed several appeals in this Psalm to "Revive me according to Your Word or something similar. Verses 33-40 have two. This section has three. Verse 154 asks God to revive us according to His Word; verse 156 asks for revival according to God's judgments (or justice), and verse 159 asks for Him to revive us according to His lovingkindness. We all need to be revived in all three.
  2. I also love the concluding verse. What do you think it means to say "The entirety of Your word is truth?" I think it means that the entirety of God's Word is truth. That means Genesis to Revelation. It goes on to add that His righteous judgments endures forever. Now, how long is forever?  Yet I hear people who think our culture knows more than God. :'( I have one friend who believes in the four Gospels, period. Should I take his word or God's Word that all Scripture is truth and endures forever?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment