Thursday, September 21, 2023

BOOK REVIEW - LETTERS TO THE SEVEN CHURCHES (THE WILLIAM BARCLAY LIBRARY) BY WILLIAM BARCLAY

 


Are you looking for a commentary on the letters to the seven churches of Asia (Revelation 2-3) that is thorough on the subject, but is also short enough not to wear you out and that is easy to follow and understand? 

Letters to the Seven Churches by William Barclay is a short but solid commentary on Revelation 2-3. It has fourteen chapters, with the odd numbered chapters dealing with the geographic, cultural, and historical background of the towns and the even numbered following it with commentary on the Biblical text.

On Amazon, there is currently one two-star review that gave the brevity of the book as the reason. Yes, it's short, but that's not a negative. When I was leading a Bible study on this section of Scripture, I found that if I used this book first, I gained a foundation on which my other research would enhance. Conversely, I did find that if I read other books first, I found this volume to repeat what I already learned from other books. But when I read it first, it laid a very solid foundation. 

One thing I enjoyed is that in his chapter on the faithful church of Philadelphia, Barclay mentioned athlete/missionary Eric Liddell refusing to run on the Sabbath and that before running the 400 meters an unknown person handed him a note reading that God will honor those who honor Him. I don't know when Barclay wrote this book, but it definitely was before Chariots of Fire, my all time favorite movie, came out.

I highly recommend this volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment