Friday, April 8, 2022

WHAT'S SO GOOD ABOUT FRIDAY?

 If I had a dime for every time I hear someone say "Happy Friday," or "Wish it was Friday" or, of course, the cliche TGIF.

On the other hand, I often hear my wife Becky and the Hungarian Bible wish each other "Happy Sunday." Is that any different?

To be honest, I find the "Happy Friday" mentality depressing. Of course, the people who say that are at my place of work, and so I don't get to see them on the weekend. But it still saddens me. Why?

First off, it gives the impression that one day of the week - or at least one workday - is worth living, and the rest of the time, not so much.

Second, there's a reflection that work is a curse. We need to remember that Biblically, work preceded the fall and the curse. Adam had a job - he was a gardner. He had a job before he had a wife (probably the one who started that pattern). 

Let's approach it a different way. What dreams do youngsters have? They want to be a musician or an actor or an athlete. Guess what? To be good at any of these, it takes work! Maybe it seems more glamorous than the usual 9-5 or what used to be my pattern, the graveyard shift, though those who make a living at those things might think the shine is a little fainter than it was when they were young. 

I have a friend who had his foot amputated. He shakes his head at those who can work and don't; he's unable to work and wishes he can. 

To me, life is too short to not enjoy each day, even if it is mundane and boring. Do you like any of the people you work with? Is there satisfaction in doing a good job at your place of employment? 

Now, I would feel differently if that person who wished me a Happy Friday had told me "Happy Thursday" the day before and is also known to say "Happy Wednesday," "Happy Tuesday," and the inconceivable "Happy Monday." 

After all, I enjoy Mondays! It is a new beginning, a chance to improve on the job I did the previous week. 

Now, does "Happy Sunday" differ? For me, it does. It is not primarily thankfulness for what is not being done but for what the person is doing. Particularly, when stated among Christians when they're going to church, when they're meeting with fellow believers, when they're studying God's Word and singing praises to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment