Tuesday, April 19, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH NOVELIST JODIE BAILEY

 


I've had the honor of interviewing several great novelists, including some of my favorites. On that list of favorites is Jodie Bailey. I was hooked on Dead Run, the first novel I read by her. Since then, I've had the honor of reading Compromised Identity, Mistaken Twin, Crossfire, Canyon Standoff ( with Valerie Hansen: a pair of novellas set at the Grand Canyon, not far from where I grew up), Fatal Identity (my favorite so far), and Deadly Cargo.

JR: Welcome to my blog, Jodie. It might be a cliche question in an author interview, but how did you get interested in writing?

JB: I can’t remember not writing. In elementary school, I used my grandmother’s typewriter so much that she bought me my own and, when she passed away, we found a drawer full of stories I’d typed on it. It’s something that’s always been in me and that I’ve always loved, though I never considered doing it as a career until I was 34. I was in a Bible study thinking, “Wow, how cool would it be to write about God as a job?” And it felt like he went, “Duh, girl. Why do you think you love writing so much? It’s about time you figured this out.”😀

JR: One thing I love about your novels is the how you work your faith thread organically into your stories. How did you come to faith in Christ, and how do you work your faith into your novels so effectively?

JB: First, how do I work my faith in? I don’t. I firmly believe that whatever is in you finds its way out. It comes through as an organic part of the story and the characters’ lives. I was blessed to grow up with a mother who didn’t only see God in certain places. She taught me that God is everywhere, all the time. I was young when I accepted Christ and He has always been a part of my life, but it has been very much like climbing a ladder. He is constantly growing me and changing me. I’ve had moments of doubt and of sliding, but He has always been so faithful to remind me that He loves me, and that will never change.

JR: In a couple of your books, you mention that your characters told you things about themselves. Could you tell us about interviewing characters for your stories?

JB: I sit and stare. A lot. I love music, so I think about what songs they might like. I picked up a method from Susan May Warren a couple of years ago, one that my friend Heidi told me about. I start with their darkest past moment, the worse moment of their lives. I look at how they overcame that and how they can keep growing from it. The story builds from there. It’s sometimes at our lowest that we see Jesus the most clearly, so that also helps with their faith journey. But sometimes, no matter how much I think I know them, they tell me something while I’m typing that I never saw coming. That’s when it gets fun.

JR: The most recent book I've read of yours was Deadly Cargo, part 5 of 8 in the Alaska K-9 Unity series, written by other authors, including a couple I've previously interviewed, Terri Reed and Laura Scott. First, what adjustments did you make in working with the other authors for this series. Second, out of curiosity, how much interaction and community is there with other authors, especially among those regularly featured by Harlequin's Love Inspired Suspense?

JB: That was so much fun! And also some hard work! There were ten of us, I believe, ultimately writing that series. We had a giant email loop and were constantly asking questions and adding tidbits to each other’s stories. (The scene with the harmonica is one example…) Those comments and conversations added a lot of richness to our characters, I think. As for community, many of us know each other online, mostly through Facebook and email, where we talk and encourage and pray for one another. It’s a great group to be a part of.

JR: Besides faith, a lot of your stories have heroes who are in the military. Did you have background with the military? How does that help you deal with spiritual warfare?

JB: I grew up near a military base with ZERO connection. I just swore I’d never marry a soldier, not after knowing how much they owed and how the job can be. Uhm, don’t tell God what you won’t do. I married a soldier. :-) And I’m so blessed that I did. He’s incredible. We moved a lot. I learned to live without him when he was deployed or away training, and it made his returns special every time, because it reminded me how blessed I am to have him. 

As for spiritual warfare, it definitely puts a “face” to it, so to speak. Unless people are somehow connected to the military, they really have no idea what it actually looks like. We think of spiritual warfare as a full frontal assault every moment, sometimes, but it can often be an insidious sneak attack. A gradual wearing down. Sometimes our enemy is out front, guns blazing, thick of battle. Other times he’s close, pulling strings or lobbing smaller assaults that might go largely unnoticed. We need to recognize it and to have a plan off attack ready.

JR: Thank you for your time. What other novels do you have coming out? Any other news, and how can we keep up with your stories?

JB: There is always another novel coming out! Witness in Peril just released, which was a fun story that takes place in and around the Grand Canyon. In August, I have another K-9 continuity in the Rocky Mountain K-9 series, Defending from Danger. After that is Blown Cover, about an undercover agent who comes face to face with the ex-partner who betrayed her. I’m also working on two more books as we speak. There are always words going on the page! Updates are on my website, jodiebailey.com. Thanks for inviting me to chat! This has been fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment