Tuesday, November 30, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH MUSICIAN/WORSHIP LEADER KATHLEEN HOWELL

 


Becky and I lived in Nashville, Tennessee for a half dozen years. Would you be surprised to learn that I got acquainted with several Christian musicians while I resided there? Those who know me would be surprised if I didn't actively search out Christian musicians. 

One place I hung out was at a couple of monthly Christian open mike nights at Koininia Bookstore (part of Belmont Church). This is where I was introduced to Kathleen Howell.

JR: I'd like start by asking how you came to Christ and how you became interested in music.

KH: I got saved in treatment for an eating disorder when I was 19. I didn't know anything. I mean, I was raised in church, so I knew to give my life to Jesus, and that He was God, but I had hardly read my Bible at all. I needed discipleship, but unfortunately, that was hard to find. So I languished with some wrong believing that kept me in fear for many years after.

I sang in public for the first time at 3, with my Dad accompanying me on guitar. I barely remember it, but I know I sang "Sing a Song" and my Mom said they could hardly pry the microphone out of my hands! Later, by the age of 13, I had determined to make music my career. 

JR: I first met you and became familiar with your music while we both were in Nashville, Tennessee; you and your family are now in Asheville, North Carolina. In regards to spiritual life and to music, what's the difference between the two cities, besides a missing letter? (I love driving down the I-75 into Knoxville, and seeing the sign: I-40W - Nashville; I-40E - Asheville.)

KH: Well, for one thing, it's more expensive to live in Asheville I think! There’s just as much construction here as I remember when I lived in Nashville but Asheville is growing faster than the new roads are. Seriously though, Nashville is full of wanna be stars. Asheville, not so much! There is a music presence here, but it's mainly bluegrass. Not sure of the political differences. Asheville is very left leaning, but it seems country music has become way more politically correct than it was in the nineties..

JR: You also are a worship leader. How do you prepare for leading a worship service? How does that resemble and differ selecting songs when you're doing a concert?

KH: How do I prepare for worship? Personal intimacy with God for sure and sometimes asking Him about songs, but honestly, more just planning what I'd like and The Holy Spirit works it out. I mean really! I can't tell you how many times He has had me do songs that fit so well without me knowing anything beforehand. 

I don't get to do concerts much anymore, but worship is certainly different. It's one of the reasons that I, as a rule, where I might have a lost person play with me in a concert, I usually don't in worship. There's a personal sense of God's presence one needs to have; a sensitivity to the Spirit. I want excellence in playing, but not perfectionism. In worship, I'd rather miss a chord or word than miss what God is doing. 

JR: If I remember correctly, your daughters are also musicians. What is it like having a daughter interested in music? How have you influenced them, and what have you learned from them?

KH: At the present time, I have two singing daughters. My youngest is only interested in that as far as a hobby, though she has led worship. My oldest is more interested in performance. I've performed and led worship with both daughters and that is a beautiful experience, let me tell you! 

Hopefully the most influence I have had, in the last ten years, has been spiritually. I had to relearn the Gospel and what it means to truly know Jesus, so I was pretty immature when my oldest was coming up. Fortunately, by the time my youngest was aware, I think she was better able to benefit from what God was doing in my life. What have I learned from them? A ton! They have called me on my inconsistencies- not fun! They have revealed the selfishness I grew up in-(I was an only child, so I never had to share!) They have helped me see how God must feel when we struggle, as His kids- like your heart is walking around outside yourself! 

JR: Your FB profile mentions you also have a teaching ministry. What's that like? 

KH: I was enormously impacted about 12 years ago by teaching that helped me understand what the Gospel really means and how one in Christ can actually be transformed in Christ. I had no solid identity before that. I was a people pleasing, stressed out Christian. I was saved, but not at peace. The enemy regularly taunted me and I had no idea how to stop him. So God changed all that when I discovered grace. I now share through teaching at my church and on You Tube, writing (I just finished my first book ) and I'm working with the youth at my church as an interim youth director. 

JR: It was back in '92, I believe, when I first heard you sing. And things 30 years later haven't changed a bit in our society, have they? Oh, they have? How has the change in our culture affected your music, your worship-leading, your teaching, and life in general? 

KH: Has culture changed in 30 years? Yeah, just a little! Asheville has the nickname "San Francisco of the South", so I imagine you can do the math on that. There's also a strong demonic presence here, unfortunately, from much Wiccan practice and freemasonry. The plus side is- the fields are ripe for harvest! 

How has that change affected your music? Not much. I don't reach that many people with my original songs, so I don't have to think much about  offending those listening! I always hope the listener will hear the truth in them and I have to say, when I've sung outside the church, I usually get a positive response from the unsaved. They seem to respect me as a musician first and I kind of then"get away" with sneaking Jesus in on them. I wouldn't say the culture has changed my worship leading.  Obviously, I want to play musically relevant songs from today's sound. I do focus on heart felt lyrics, though I try to make sure it's also doctrinally sound worship. My intimate relationship with Jesus is the biggest influence. My teaching? I've only been teaching about 10 years. I did have one sermon where I mentioned that I only believed in one man, one woman marriage and it has been one of my least popular videos. So there's that. 

I've become more sensitive to those around me, especially in Asheville. I don't want to unnecessarily turn off someone from the Gospel, at least by badly presenting it. Yet, I can't run away from the fact that bottom line is Jesus divides people. 

JR: Thank you for your time. Anything else you want to mention that I forgot to bring up? How can we keep up with your ministries?  

KH: Kathleen M. Howell is my You Tube channel. Wake Me Up is my FB ministry page. To access my original music and to support my writing, videos, an upcoming podcast, blog,etc., I humbly accept monthly (and otherwise) donations to my Patreon page.:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment