Tuesday, October 12, 2021

THANKS TO MY BETA READERS, AND WHAT'S NEXT WITH MY WRITING?

 


I'd like to start today's blog by thanking my Beta Readers: Mary Allen, Kacy Barnett-Gramckow, Heidi Glick, Twyla Jackson, and Joanne Sher. They have read my novel that I've been working on since '07, and provided excellent feedback.

Did I mention that I started writing "An Apologetic For Murder" since 2007? It has been an adventure. 

It started no later than 1995, actually, when I had a concept of a group of six friends working together to solve a murder. I called them the Menagerie: each one had an animal nickname. 

In 2007, I was wanting to write a book promoting apologetics. Of course, as a lay-person with no name recognition, would anybody consider reading a book by little old me? And then, I remembered some friends who were in apologetics/anti-cult ministry mention that they got death threats. 

So the Menagerie found a home - they attended an apologetics conference to find out who was trying to kill an apologist. I also thought of having an innocent bystander - if a hit-man could be called an innocent bystander - intercept a bullet meant for one of the apologists. 

Immediately, there were a lot of characters to develop. There was the six in the Menagerie. Then, there were the apologists, of which there were five (patterned after the book Five Views On Apologetics? Not intentionally but it did have an influence). Add to that seven suspects. Which one did it?

No, I'm not answering the above question, though my Beta Readers know. However, I was half way through writing the novel until it hit me who hired the hit-man and whose bullet said hit-man intervened. 

The novel was finished in 2008. The next year, after looking into some venues for publishing, a self-publishing company agreed to publish it. The following year, that company went belly-up in a way that it ended up on the front page of the local paper and was covered by all the local newsstations on TV. 

Around that time, I read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Christian Fiction by Ron Benrey.  I had previously read other literature on writing, includint two books on writing Christian fiction. Benrey was the first one to advise getting an agent, and also encouraged going to writing conferences and joining the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers).

So I took his advice and joined, became part of a couple critique groups, and started on my first re-write of the novel. Originally, it had six "main characters." In writing the novel, though, those six characters fell into roles. Two got a lot of "screen time", two were important more for their roles (e.g. the policeman of the group), and two (who happened to be the married couple of the group) were basically supporting characters. So I set to work focusing on the two main characters.

Shortly after, I did a third rewrite, more major than the second. I figured out who the actual sleuth of the group was. So I did something I never thought I'd do, and rewrote the story as a first person narrative. 

Around 2014, the fire faded. During that time I made some half hearted starts, and in 2019 I got serious to rework the novel and seek publication. That's also when I lined up the beta readers.

I did have two concerns with my novel, both of which affected marketability and both were confirmed by the comments of the beta readers. The first was if there were too many characters. The consensus was that the story called for a lot of characters, but yes, I did have a lot of them. The second was if it was too deep theologically for the average fiction reader (and relatedly, not enough action to maintain interest). This concern was legitimate.

Soooo... where do I go from here?  Basically I have two options.

One is to give up on this story. I have two other story ideas (different genres from each other and from my above novel). I also have other talents that are laying dormant such as songwriting, ceramics, and drawing. Add to that an interest in refugee ministry.

The other is to do a third rewrite, and this one will be more major than the other two. The previous ones maintained the same characters, the same plot, the same victim, the same killer. If I rewrite, I will be trimming the characters which will then alter the plot. After all, the seven suspects had motives to kill one of the five apologists, but they weren't after the same apologist. I might get rid of an apologist while wanting to keep the person who wanted to kill him.

If I do start from scratch as I'm proposing, or if I decide to write a new novel, I'll be working with a couple of books. The first is The Chunky Method by Allie Pleiter, to help me in following the two rules of writing illustrated above. The second is Soul Types, which looks at the impact of the Myers-Briggs Types on spirituality.

Should you feel led to pray as I think this over, it would be appreciated.


3 comments:

  1. I hope you don't give up, Jeff! It sounds like a great idea. I rewrote my first novel about 20 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sit and stay pic. So true. Also, I do hope you'll stick with this novel and see it through. Another twist on the re-write is to slow the action down a little bit by expanding a couple of the characters or at least give the readers a bit of downtime from processing the crime info by putting in personal interactions.

    ReplyDelete