Tuesday, October 26, 2021

GUARDIAN ANGELS UNAWARE?

 

Have any of you seen the picture at Cracker Barrell (at least, that's where I saw it) of a boy and girl crossing a bridge over a stream and behind them, unnoticed, is a giant blonde woman with wings and a mother-like smile? There were similar ones in the series, including of the kids seeing the angel watching over them.

Of course, as a writer, it makes me wonder: if I have a guardian angel, what does he/she look like?

Now, I wouldn't mind one that resembles former baseball player/manager Mike Scoscia. As a catcher, he got the nickname of "The Human Dead End" for the baserunner wanting to cross home and score. Plus, he's had experience managing the Angels for nearly 20 years. I'd feel safe with that kind of guardian angel. 

But I know well enough to know that God doesn't do things the way we expect. Yes, my angel could be a large, powerful coach type, or one like the smiling beauty in the paintings I mentioned earlier, and either would be just effective.  

How about a rabbit? I know. With the photo above you might think I would have said a squirrel. A rabbit is a step - or is it a hop - above their fellow rodent's formidability as a Guarian angel, but at their size one step isn't very much.

Why would I think my guardian angel might be a rabbit? Well, I've worked at the same geopgraphic location since November, '02. There is a nice large parking garage, and an enclosed outdoor space (with 30 parking spaces). For years, I parked inside, but a couple of years ago, I decided to use that outdoor section.

That first night, I pulled in, and as I was pulling forward into the space, I saw a rabbit sitting right in front of that place, watching me.

When I got out of the car, the rabbit hopped off. Not real fast; he wasn't running for his life. But it seemed like his job was to make sure I safely arrived at work.

Now, this is not a common occurrence. But it wasn't the only time my rabbit was at my space, waiting for me to pull in. And once, as I was leaving when I was heading home, I took a glance, and the rabbit was right where I turned to leave that parking area, to make sure I was making it home.

Assuming animals can be a guardian angel, how many would have a rabbit as their top choice? Me neither. Nothing against rabbits. I feel blessed when I see one. I'm also happy to see squirrels (thought I've yet to see one in armor), but for me a rabbit encounter is more special.

When considering guardian angels, though, there are many animals I'd be quicker to hire. Maybe a white rhino. Or a Tasmanian devil. A pack of either wolves or Painted Dogs would work. So would a tiger, especially a large Amur (or Siberian) tiger. Believe it or not, I think a vulture would be a good candidate.

On the other hand, though, a rabbit might be the best candidate. The rhino would have a hard time getting into that parking area, and he'd probably be standing in the parking place I was going to park. The Tasmanian Devil might get under the garage wall as the rabbit did, but I doubt the tiger or the wolves or dogs could. Now the vulture could fly overhead. But what would my co-workers think with turkey vultures flying overhead as I left?

Likewise, what would they think if there was a rhino or tiger or painted dog or Tasmanian Devil in the parking garage? They'd probably call the zoo to notify about an escapee. Now, the wolves would be a more expected sight, but animal control will still be notified.

A rabbit, then, is most suited to be there and unnoticed.

True, it's not likely that my guardian angel is a rabbit. But then, it could be on assignment from my guardian angel. And I may have others watching out for me. Maybe a sparrow flying over head, watching as I drive home in the nut hour ... I mean rush hour traffic, will give a report when I safely park. Or a praying mantis might camp on our window screen to make sure we're safe inside, waiting till after dark to update the managing angel.

True, my tongue was in cheek during a lot of this writing. But one thing I do know - God watches out for His children. Yes, it's clearly in the Scripture - Psalms 10:14, 34:15-22, and 91 are three examples I can think of off the top of my head. There are also other times that I know God has been watching my back.

So what do you think your guardian angel is like?


No comments:

Post a Comment