Sunday, September 26, 2021

BOOK REVIEW: CORPORATE WORSHIP BY MATT MERKER

 

This is the third of the 9Marks books I've read, and thus far it's my favorite. Matt Merker does an excellent job of pointing out why Christians should gather. (The Greek word translated "church" is εκκλησία (ekklesia), which means "an assembly.") He then points out how the church worship service is not just a show but where we can encourage each other.

One thing I like about this book is the author is aware his readers may disagree about other issues, and in his notes tries to present opposing views, keeping his focus on encouraging corporate worship.

Too often, in Christian circles "worship" is synonymous with "music." Merker (who is a musician/songwriter) does deal with the singing in the service, but he views the whole service to be worship and singing is just one form of worship during the service.

Allow me to add one area where I disagree with what he says, though I agree with why he says it, and he may agree with my ideas on the subject, which deals with Special Music. In fact, starting next Sunday (October 3, 2021), I'll be doing a four part series on church music.

I highly recommend this book for all Christians, and especially for pastors/elders and music leaders, not just to read themselves but have discussion groups with the congregation about this book.

What ways can you think of to develop Christian community, especially during the Sunday morning worship service?

No comments:

Post a Comment