Wednesday, September 22, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH YA FANTASY AUTHORS JACKIE CASTLE AND J. M. HACKMAN

"Lawful Authority" by Meghan Williams, Dyed4YouArt

 

I'm doing a first: I'm interviewing not one but two authors this time around. Jackie Castle and J. M. Hackman have written two of my favorite fantasy series: respectively The White Road Tales (6 novels plus some novellas) and the Firebrand Chronicles (3 novels). I thought it would be fun to interview both authors together and compare some of their thoughts.

One quick comment: the picture above is courtesy of Meghan Williams.  It has nothing to do with either of the fantasy series, but I thought it fit discussing that genre.

To make this easier to keep track of who's who, my print is in black, Jackie Castle's is in red, and J. M. Hackman's in blue.

JR: Let me start with the most important question first. If I need a combination companion, counselor, and chauffeur, which is the better option? A griffin like Arvandus or a centaur such as Lotari?

JC: Well, Lotari is not only a loyal companion and advisor, but he’s also a brave protector, as well. As far as the chauffeur, never ask a centaur for a ride: they get insulted when humans treat them like pack animals. However, because four legs are always faster than two, when they need to get somewhere, centaurs can be quite generous about offering a ride. Patience isn’t always a virtue with these creatures.

JH: Unlike a centaur, you can ride a griffin…if you’re bonded to each other.
Otherwise, you’re on your own. If you
are bonded, though, you get all the benefits—wise, a little snark (a must when dealing with headstrong teens), and a fearsome protector. He’ll always have your back.

JR: Firebrands and Illuminates sound similar to each other. What are they? How are they alike and unlike?

J. M. Hackman (photo on left): In the Jasper Territory (a continent in the alternate world of Eventyr), everyone receives a gifting (or a talent) as they grow through puberty. Firebrands learn to create and manipulate fire with their bare hands, as well as heal using the warmth they create. It’s up to the user to decide how the talent will be used—for good or ill.

JC: In The White Road Chronicles, Illuminates are those gifted with the ability to glow. Their light can sometimes bring healing, or help a White Tree to flourish and produce fruit. Other Illuminates, called Empowered, can send power into their weapons or shoot bolts of light against the enemy.

JR: What was the inspiration of the White Road Tales and the Firebrand Chronicles?

Jackie Castle (photo on right): Wow, it’s been so long since I began the White Road journey. I remember having a dream about this girl that was trying to find her way home. She could glow and it was believed that she was a healer of the land. True story. I woke up and began wondering who that girl was and eventually, Alyra introduced herself. The White Road Chronicles is an allegory, in a way, of the Christian walk. We are given a path to follow, talents to see us through the challenges that arise during our journey, and if we’ll stay on our path, we will find safety and purpose. But how many of us truly stay on that narrow road all the time? It’s not as easy as it seems.
JH: I’ll be honest, Harry Potter inspired the Firebrand Chronicles. After finishing the Harry Potter series, I kept wondering three things: 

1) I believe God gives each person gifts, talents they’re to use for a specific purpose. What would it look like if an individual’s gift manifested itself in a more visible way, like being able to create fire?  

2) Where were the girls? Action-adventure tales gave us Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and the entire motley crew who ran off to Mordor, but where were the females who did heroic, amazing feats? And lastly  

3) How would a neurodiverse character change the world? Because there are very few example of neurodiversity in fantasy, I wanted to give readers an inside view of ADHD. The more representation there is, the more people understand.  

JR: What talents do the people in your fantasy realms have? How can they be identified?

JH: There are literally too many to name (just like here on Earth), but there are twelve more common talents: Firebrand, Waterbrand, Illusionbrand, Weatherbrand, Builderbrand, Metalbrand, Sensitive, Time Reeler, Warrior, Finder, Wisdom Trainer, and Visionary. (Phew!) Sometimes, it’s impossible to identify someone’s talent; other times, like with a Weatherbrand, it’s obvious.

JC: Some people are illuminates, healers, guides, leaders, builders, warriors, ect. The talents in my series are more organic, though some are more powerful than others. I’ve jotted down a few talents, but I learn of more as I go along with each new story.

JR: Could you tell me about your villains Darnell and Rune? What techniques do they have to try to overthrow the true ruler of the realm? Are there any similarities how these scoundrels are fought with the Spiritual warfare we Christians face?

JC: Darnel’s rise to power is being told in the Chronicles of Alburnium series I’m currently writing. In the White Road Chronicles, he has already risen to power. I can’t really give away how he is overthrown, but I will say that the best way to overthrow our enemies is to get over our fear of them.

JH: Rune’s been amassing followers as he plans to fulfill his father’s desire for a One World Territory. But to do so he needs more power to overthrow the true ruler, Emperor Rexson. So he’s also on a quest to own the three most powerful artifacts of the Jasper Territory—the Sacred Veil, the Stones of the Spring, and the Caelestis Staff. My main characters fight Rune by using their God-given talents. Aside from prayer, this is the best way we can fight evil.

JR: Thank you both for your time. Would you like to let us know what your current/future projects are and let us know how we can keep up to date with you?

JH: These were fun questions! Currently, I’m revising a futuristic Snow White retelling. Think Snow White meets Star Wars in the vein of the Lunar Chronicles. I’ve plotted three of the four additional books in that series, all retellings. I’ll be looking for an agent for this project soon. I just wish I could write faster! J

To keep up to date with me, sign up for my newsletter at www.jmhackman.com. I release a newsletter every month (usually ;-) ). I talk about books I’ve read, share my current projects, and have occasional giveaways!

JC: I am currently writing finishing the second trilogy in the Chronicles of Alburnium. This series still takes place in Alburnium, but at an earlier time in history when the land was divided into Provinces which were ruled by Regents. This series chronicles Darnel’s rise to power. There are a few familiar faces as the books progress, but the stories involve all original characters and situations. You can keep up with me and my writing at www.jackiecastle.com.





1 comment: