Monday, July 5, 2021

WHAT IS OUR IDENTITY? WHERE IS OUR CITIZENSHIP?

 

Declaration of Independence by John Trumbull

Yesterday was Sunday, July 4th, 2021. The last time Independence Day fell on a Sunday was 2010; next time will be 2027. 

I'm in a Facebook Group called the Baptist Review, and one theme of the past week was how much of the service would be a church service on the Fourth of July and how much would be a July 4th Service at church. Should Patriotic songs be included and how many? Should the sermon be focused on Independence Day or should the pastor continue with the next sermon in his series? Should the flag be on the platform and should the pledge be said?

Allow me summarize what some people were asking: Is our views on Patriotism and our country and its freedoms in danger of violating the First Commandment, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me?"

Let me simply put my view like this: American Christians have an equal responsibility to be loyal and thankful for their countries as do Christians in every other nation in the world, including Communist China, Islamic Iran, Hindu India. I'll take one step farther: the loyalty and thankfulness and stand for truth should be exactly the same this year with President Biden as it was last year with President Trump.

I'll put it another way. As a Christian, my identity is a Christian and my citizenship is in heaven. Yes, I happen to be American, but my Sovereign is infallible and in heaven. If His commandments and the laws of our fallible leaders contradict, I unquestioningly give the former precedence. 

But is that typical, especially nowadays? There are some who identify with Christians on both sides of the political aisle, and both of them would say their political views are an accurate ... no, THE accurate interpretation of Jesus' teachings. In other words, some question if you can be saved and be a Democrat or if you are a true disciple if you are a Republican. Yes, I've heard one person say that Libertarianism and Christianity are incompatible.

How is God going to accomplish His will? Does he need us to defeat His enemy (that is, the OTHER party) through political means? When Jesus said teach all nations and make disciples, did He really mean either to be pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-guns, pro-military, pro-police or to view the government as the means to create equality and diversity and oppose those who would dare consider Scripture more authoritative than their political philosophy?

One book I'd recommend on the subject is John Cobin's Christian Theology of Public Policy. He promotes what he calls the "Liberty of Conscience" view, which views the state as a rival kingdom to the Kingdom of God, but to be active in that view. Cobin includes concise commentaries on Romans 13 and 1 Peter 2.

To be honest, I would rather put up the Christian flag in my home than an American one. I have more in common with a believer in a 3rd world country or enduring persecution in a restricted nation than fellow countrymen here. (It takes about five minutes a day of watching TV to reinforce that belief.) A Christian who disagrees with me on Calvinism/Arminianism, dispensationalism, music, etc. is more at unity with me than an unbeliever who agrees with me politically.

What one item would you call the defining point of your identity? Are there times we need to decide between obedience to God and abiding by the laws of men? Are your political views influencing your theology, or is it the other way around?

No comments:

Post a Comment