Tuesday, July 20, 2021

CHRISTIAN COMIC BOOK REVIEWS PART 1 OF 2: THERAPEUTIC INSANITY WITH YAKOV BENTORAH AND HIS DOG MATTIX BY JAMES LAWSON

 


Have you ever seen a series of book reviews? Well, you have now. Today and tomorrow I'll be introducing two different books that have a few things in common:

  1. They're both listed as "Graphic Novels".
  2. Technically, they're not "Novels" but are collections of cartoons by the author.
  3. They are both are Christian, and neither is typical Christian fluff.
  4. Neither will be everybody's cup of tea, partially due to humor and partially due to theological reasons.

 Today, I'll start with Therapeutic Insanity by my friend James Lawson is a clever and humorous look into Christianity. The main characters are Yakov BenTorah (which is the author's name in Hebrew) and his Dog, Mattix (another play on words - I'll see if you can figure it out).

The blurb states this isn't for couch potato Christians and challenges those who don't trust Scripture alone. Now, he does have views that are not typical, and some may not agree with everything he says. But it does call for us to think things through.

There will be times you'll be rolling on the floor laughing your head off, there will be times you'll be ready to challenge the author to a theological debate, and there will be times you will give him a hearty amen. I highly recommend this book. 

I've also been following Lawson's Facebook page, and I trust he doesn't mind if I share a couple of my favorites by him.

Lawson's Facebook page is titled Reformed Christian Comic Books. Hence, expect Reformed Theology in the comics. But at James' heart is a desire for the Chruch to return to the five Solas of the Reformation - The Bible Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, in Christ Alone, To the Glory of God Alone -and I agree.

Have you seen any Christian comics you especially like? Any cartoon that have challenged your faith? 

Tomorrow, I'll be sharing about another collection of Christian comics that have some similarities ... and some major differences.



 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeff for the review! Appreciate you my friend! Hope you and the Mrs. are doing well!
    James

    ReplyDelete