Wednesday, July 21, 2021

CHRISTIAN COMIC BOOK REVIEWS PART 2 OF 2: SUBMITTING TO BE MORE VILE (THE ILLUSTRATED ADVENTURES OF JOHN AND CHARLES WESLEY) BY CHARLIE BABER

 


Yesterday I reviewed James Lawson's comics of Yakov BenTorah and his dog Mattix. Today, I'll be looking at a collection of Wesley Bros. comics by Charlie Baber. 

I fell in love with the premise immediately. Baber takes the Wesleys and puts them in a modern day setting along with other famous people in history. Well, maybe not always modern day - Baber places his characters in take-offs of Marvel Comics, Star Trek, and the like - previously I would never have thought of Tertullian as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

This graphic novel is arranged in thematic order as opposed to chronological. Some of them are a telling of the Wesleys' childhood and the origins of Methodism (though I doubt the real Nancy Wesley asked her mother for a cell phone). The other sections look at theology and church relations.

I'll admit that there are things I like about this collection and some I don't. For one is that while it is about Arminians by Arminians, it doesn't villainize Calvinists. George Whitfield is a regular character in the book as a friend, not as an antagonist. On the other hand, I can tell from the comics that I'm more conservative theologically and politically than they are. For example, there are comics that hint Baber has no problem with female clergy, and there are a few which give an impression that wokism is okay (one which is meant to be pro-immigration but comes across as anti ICE).

Wesley Bros. is a fun way to look at church history. Also, like Yakov BenTorah, there is a challenge to what Lawson describes as Couch Potato Christians, to return to our First Love. However, I have to stop short of an unqualified recommendation of the Wesley Bros.

Is there an artist (musician, novelist, cartoonist, etc.) that you have points of disagreement with but who still have a positive effect in your spiritual life or at least spur you on to thinking issues through? Is there a balance between being too inclusive and too exclusive in your theology?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment