Friday, May 21, 2021

Hidden Danger Of Arts Revisited

 

Allegory of Painting, Gerard van Honthorst

 Two days ago, I shared a post about one of my heroes leaving one ministry for another. If there was much press about that, it's been eclipsed by Kevin Max, formerly of DC Talk, saying he's now an Exvangelical. If it was just him, that would be one thing, but he's not alone.

This reminded me of a paper I read thirty years ago by my friend Robert Roberg, titled "The Hidden Danger of Art." Roberg, who himself is a singer/songwriter, a visual artist, and a former church planter,  introduced one danger in art before telling a hypothetical story illustrating other dangers. 

I do have some comments about Mr. Max and the state of today's Christianity, but I would at first like to bring up Mr. Roberg's initial critique and add other things that can be a danger of an artist, be it musicians as in Roberg's story or actors/actresses or novelists or visual artists.

The first point Roberg made was the focus of self promoting that is involved in art. I'll admit that I do that with this blog, because I feel it might reach twice as many readers if I do (meaning there will be four regular readers instead of two). True, this is a job that many artists whole heartedly despise. There may not be the ego with these creatives. But it can also lead to a mentality that our success as a musician is up to us, not to God.

Another danger is contained in Proverbs 18:2: "A fool has no delight in understanding, But in expressing his own heart." Art can be an effective form of communication - after all, a picture (or a symphony) is worth a thousand words - but a lot of times it is self expression, emphasizing not what's on God's heart but what's on ours.

Also, art is by nature sensual.  I don't mean that in a negative sense (pun unintentional), but as an objective fact. Paintings draw one's eyes. Music catches the ear. Acting does both. You could say that novelists are an exception, except the best writers are good at making you feel, see, hear, and even taste and smell the setting. Thus, there is a danger of the artist moving from appealing to the senses to being sensual (in the negative sense).

An artist can also forget what is inspiration and what is Inspiration. I've known one musician who arranged Romans 8:1 to music and says it needs to be heard because he wrote it. No, who set the music doesn't matter. Another songwriter claims innocently that it's not him who writes his songs but God. No, my friend used his talents and wrote in his style. 

I love hanging around Christian artists and musicians, and for that matter pastors and missionaries (all my rowdy friends are preachers). For me, sharing their faith is a blessing. But even for me, it can be a danger, because I could start hanging around and listening to and viewing artists that don't have my worldview. "The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray." (Prov. 12:26)

Now, one may ask if being an artist more susceptible to falling away from the faith. I know of two people I admired (one musician, one author) who went from being outspoken Evangelicals to taking a more ritualistic approach to faith to becoming atheists. As mentioned above, it's not rare for artists to become "Progressive."

But let me seem to digress. Nobody really considers news to be art. And many complain of all the crime in the news. One person commented, though, that crime is the exception. There are more people helping others than killing others. The helping is so commonplace, it's not newsworthy. The killing is not as normal, so it's news. Likewise, you're going to hear of the few who are turning from their faith while the many that stay faithful are seemingly (and possibly actually) ignored.

Kevin Max has become progressive and left the evangelical scene. Any indication his former bandmates Michael Tait - who became lead singer for the Newsboys - and Toby Mac doing the same? I haven't heard a peep. Likewise, while Max has moved toward Progressive Christianity, former Zoe Girl Alisa Childers used the lure of Progressive Christianity to strengthen her faith, which you can read in her book "Another Gospel."

So what can we take away from this? First, we need to do as Peter says and make our calling and election sure (2 Peter 1:10). Second, we can look for those who are standing firm and encouraging them in the faith. 

Is there an artist you know that you can encourage?


No comments:

Post a Comment