Wednesday, July 31, 2024

REPORT ON INDIANA GOSPEL MUSIC FESTIVAL, 25TH ANNIVERSARY (JULY 27, '24)

Me with Divinity Trio.

 Okay, how is it that a music lover like me spends a quarter of a century in Indianapolis being unaware of either the Kingdom Come Festival (KCF) or the Indiana Gospel Music Festival? Well, I managed to go to both this year!

You can say I in a sense attended an IGMF event. In '21, they had a set at my home church (Northside Baptist Church) which featured the Victorious Trio, Devin Cunningham (then IGMF President), and the Divinity Trio, with my friend and fellow church member Eric Shaw emceeing. After the three artists finished their set, Devin led the group in  various songs.

The next year, they were back at having the festival at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds Exhibition Hall. I didn't get to go then or last year, but this year I made up my mind to go. After all, I've enjoyed hanging out with the rockers at KCF; I definitely should have a turn at IGMF!

The artists this year were Revival Road Quartet, His Grace Trio, The Sinclairs, Victorious Trio, By Faith Quartet, Ginny Pugh Spillman, Witness Quartet, Judith Montgomery, The Riddells, Curtis Pruett, David Melton Family Singers, The Cunninghams (Devin got married between '21 and now), and Divinity Trio.

I can write a blog comparing the two festivals, so I won't deal with that now. But I do want to share some highlights from the IGMF, which happened to be the 25th Anniversary edition:

  • There were several great songs. Some of them were written by the artists, some may not have been, but these include "I'm Going There" (Revival Road Quartet), "Broken Ones," Somebody Oughta Testify (both by Victorious Trio), "My King Is Known By His Love" (By Faith Quartet), "Pull Up A Chair," "Called Out" (both by Witness Quartet), "Won't Stay In The Boat Anymore" (the Riddells), "Do You Know Who I Am," "At The Foot Of The Cross" (both by Curtis Pruett), "Walk By Faith," and "There Is A River" (both by Divinity Trio)
  • On the Sinclairs final song, they were accompanied by a friend who signed the song while they were singing.
  • Most of the songs were accompanied by tracks; there were only two artists that had any live instrumentalists (though both also had tracks.) Divinity Trio had a pianist (so if you were wondering why there were four people with me in my above picture with a trio). Curtis Pruett played piano and guitar. On the same song.
  • I forgot to mention the emceeing. This was done by Eric Shaw and Devin Cunningham.
  • We had three soloists, two duets, four trios, three quartets, and a sextet do the first thirteen sets. For those who like math, you'd realize that included 37 people. The final set had... 38 people. Yes, that included all the artists that sang plus Eric, with Devin leading them  and the audience in some familiar songs: "Victory In Jesus," "Amazing Grace," and a medley of "Soon and Very Soon" and the chorus of Russ Taff's "We Will Stand." This wasn't the first festival I attended that closed with "We Will Stand" - in December of '88 I attended a benefit which concluded with the involved artists - Steve Camp, Steven Curtis Chapman, First Call, Geoff Moore, White Heart, Margaret Becker, Michael Card, Paul Overstreet, and BeBe and CeCe Winan - join Russ Taff on that song, with Petra's John Lawry on the piano. That definitely brought back memories.
As for comparing the two festivals... that's another blog that will be coming shortly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment